When it comes choosing the degree that will start you on your path to your dream career, it can be hard to decide on one single area of interest.
Perhaps your dream job calls for a nuanced skill set that one degree can’t give you, or you want to explore your passion while still making pragmatic decisions about your future.
Business and commerce degrees offer adaptability, practicality and employability skills. They’re the perfect add-on to a degree where you explore another passion or interest.
Have you ever thought about a double degree?
It’s easier than you think
A double degree refers to two single degrees undertaken in a shorter time frame, with most reduced from six years of study down to four years. You’ll graduate with two Bachelor degrees and two study specialities under your belt.
Some people think it’s harder. They might say, ‘You’re studying business and science/arts/law?’ In fact, a double degree lets you switch between interests. When one side of your brain gets tired, you can simply use the other. It’s all about balance and variety.
More flexibility, more options
Studying two Bachelor degrees means you can combine different areas you’re passionate about. But it also gives you more options while you decide where you want to go. You’ll have access to a wider range of study areas and subjects, broadening your knowledge in areas that interest you.
Added career options
Employers are more likely to hire graduates with a broad and diverse skill set – it also demonstrates your determination and commitment.
In fact, 74 per cent of double degree graduates find employment within four months of graduating, compared to 68 per cent of students with a single degree.*
*Graduate Careers Australia 2015.
What can you study?
Our double degrees on offer are spread across a wide range of study areas and offer some unique and specialised combinations. Here are some options to consider:
- Commerce/Agricultural Sciences – a unique double degree that gives you the knowledge to explore agricultural sciences in a commercial context. You’ll learn to help farmers improve their food production sustainably, and get the skills to develop, finance, market and manage agricultural businesses.
- Commerce/International Relations – a double degree that will give you the skills to apply your business acumen to the global market. On completion, you could be working in the commercial world of business, international governance or public service institutions.
- Business/Bachelor of Arts – a double degree that lets you explore your passions and a range of possibilities for your future. Choose a language, creative and professional writing, philosophy, politics, sustainability and development, international studies or many more.
- Business or Commerce/Science – build a niche for yourself with skills in business/commerce and science. This double degree allows you to study botany, genetics, chemistry or agricultural science along with accounting, tax and finance. This degree can give you the knowledge and skills to help resolve social, environmental and business challenges.
- Commerce/Law – a law degree combined with studies in accounting, economics, finance, management or marketing. This degree can advance your employability and set you up for corporate law, tax law or other legal specialties.
- Commerce/Psychological Science – build your knowledge of psychology together with commerce. An expertise in people, personalities and complex social challenges is an asset in the workplace and can lead to roles in human resources, marketing and management.
At La Trobe, we have over 15 business and commerce double degrees on offer. You can improve your employment potential, study a wider range of subjects and combine your passion with your chosen profession. Explore our full range of business and commerce double degrees.