Living & studying away from home

Whether you’re from a regional area or the other side of town, there’s plenty of guidance available to help you find living arrangements that suit your needs.

We also offer a range of support services to help you settle in and adjust to the challenges of living and studying away from home.

On-campus accommodation

If you’re moving out of home for the first time, living on campus is a great way to go. Residential colleges at Melbourne, Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga campuses are highly-supportive environments where it’s easy to make friends and share challenges.

Residential colleges also feature programs to assist you in maintaining your wellbeing and developing a healthy social life. Academic support is also available, as well as financial assistance in the form of scholarships and bursaries.

Off-campus accommodation

There are plenty of share houses near La Trobe campuses, as well as private rental properties. Student apartments may also be available depending on your location. Hostels and rooming houses are among the other options.

Off-campus accommodation can be cheaper than living on campus, however, it doesn’t have the hands-on support that comes with living in a on-campus residential college.

The good news is that we have a comprehensive welfare and academic support program that’s available to all students. This includes academic support, financial assistance and free counselling. The La Trobe Student Association also provides a range of support services to members.

So if you decide to live off campus, you can do so in the knowledge that help is at hand.

More information

For guidance on choosing the right option, visit our accommodation page.

Further information on budgeting can be found by visiting our Financial Health Resources page.