Smoke Free La Trobe
We are leading by example and taking on the challenges of environmental sustainability and health awareness in the La Trobe community.
Designated smoking areas have been identified on the Melbourne, Bendigo, Albury-Wodonga and Shepparton campuses as part of a transition arrangement.
Any staff, student or visitor smoking outside of the designated smoking areas may be fined from 24th July 2017.
- Melbourne campus [PDF 5.1MB]
- Bendigo campus [PDF 2.5MB]
- Albury-Wodonga campus [PDF 1.2MB]
- Shepparton campus [PDF 720KB]
- Mildura campus - Due to the size of the Mildura campus, there are no designated smoking areas.
- City campus - As they are situated in an urban setting which falls under local council regulations, no designated smoking areas are available at these sites.
For staff and students working and studying outside the core of the Melbourne campus, smoking bins are provided in a number of high traffic pedestrian areas and car park exits.
The University's smoke free policy applies to all University-owned, controlled or leased buildings, land and vehicles on all campuses with the exception of major car parks which have been declared as permitted smoking areas.
La Trobe University supports the efforts of staff and students to make positive changes to their health and lifestyle by reducing or quitting smoking.
Good reasons to quit
Quitting smoking at any age brings major and immediate health benefits:
- 20 minutes after quitting your heart rate drops.
- 12 hours later the carbon monoxide level in your blood reduces dramatically.
- After a year, your risk of life threatening coronary heart disease is halved compared to those who continue to smoke.
By visiting the QuitVic site you will learn more about different quitting methods and or coping techniques.
You will receive more information on:
- why people smoke and smoking addiction
- thinking about quitting
- quitting plans and strategies
- resources and support available to help quit for good
- coping with times when smoking is restricted.
- My Quit Buddy - Mobile app (free)
- Quit for You, Quit for Two - Mobile app for mums-to-be
- Quit Coach - Free personalised quitting plan
- Quit Now - Australia Government Department of Health
- Give Up Smokes for Good - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander campaign
- OxyGeneration - Smoke free resources for adolescents
- Cancer Council Victoria