To help make your arrival in Australia more comfortable, La Trobe International offers a free airport pick-up service for Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus and City Campus students arriving at Melbourne Airport (also known as Tullamarine Airport).
La Trobe is ready to welcome back all international students
La Trobe is dedicated to supporting our international student community to transition to on-campus study.
Our airport reception provider, Togoto Australia, can meet you at the airport and take you to your Melbourne accommodation.
If you’re travelling to a regional campus, please refer to the section, ‘Transport - Victorian regional campuses and Sydney Campus’.
Airport reception and transport - Melbourne & City Campuses
Before you submit your booking request, please ensure you have:
- accepted your offer to study with us
- booked your flight
- confirmed your accommodation.
You can then complete the Airport Reception Form online. However, you’ll need to make your own booking – it cannot be made by someone else on your behalf.
Once booked, you’ll receive a confirmation email of your booking, along with a map on how to meet the driver [PDF 388KB].
If you’re booking within 72 hours of your flight arrival time, please be aware that your request might not be successful. We’ll confirm if your booking was approved or not.
If you haven’t yet organised permanent accommodation, you may want to consider temporary accommodation for when you arrive in Australia. Read our suggestions on arranging temporary accommodation.
Friends and family members can also accompany you on your journey from the airport. They’ll simply need to pay a fee of A$35 each, to be paid in cash to the driver. You must advise when booking how many people will be accompanying you so that we can reserve them a place in the transport vehicle.
To ensure that your airport reception is confirmed, you must provide us with your flight details at least 24 hours before your departure. If you’re arriving on a Saturday, Sunday or a Monday, we recommend submitting your flight details by 12pm Melbourne time the previous Friday.
If your arrival details change, please notify us as soon as possible. However, please note:
- changes to Saturday, Sunday or Monday arrival details must be sent to us no later than 12pm Melbourne time on a Friday before you arrive
- changes to arrival details for Tuesday through Friday should be sent to us at least 24 hours prior to departure from your home country.
Suburbs located beyond a six-kilometre radius of our Melbourne campuses will require an extra fee, which can be paid to your driver in cash. You’ll receive a separate email outlining the additional charges before we confirm your airport reception.
To help you plan the cost of your journey, please refer to our:
- list of suburbs included in the free pick up [PDF 325KB]
- list of additional costs [PDF 407.7KB] for suburbs.
Because other students may be travelling in your vehicle, certain luggage limitations will be in place to ensure everyone can travel in comfort.
La Trobe International student:
- 2 suitcases
- 1 medium pull-a-long
- 1 backpack.
- 1 suitcase
- 1 backpack.
Unfortunately, we cannot transport boxes of any size, nor larger luggage items like musical instruments, bicycles and golf clubs. The driver has the right to refuse transport to anyone bringing excessive or oversized luggage.
If you are arriving at Tullamarine Airport on an international flight, you must:
- print and carry this map of how to meet your driver at the airport [PDF 338KB]
- go to the main arrivals hall once you have cleared immigration, collected your bags and cleared customs
- look for your driver, who will be holding a yellow and green Togoto sign.
If you’re arriving on a domestic flight, your driver will meet you at the baggage carousel when you collect your luggage. Look for the yellow and green sign.
You can provide your new arrival details by sending an email to our team.
For late flight delays or cancellations, you should immediately inform Togoto Australia by contacting their staff directly on +61 409 503 646.
If you change your flight details, cancel your booking or do not use the service after your booking has been confirmed, your student account will be charged A$45 per person.
We recommend being prepared in the event you cannot locate your driver. Please take note of Togoto’s contact number and call it if anything goes wrong: +61 409 503 646.
You can also ask for Togoto Australia at the airport information desk.
It’s important you don’t leave the airport with anybody unless they are a nominated La Trobe University representative with suitable identification.
There may be instances where you’re unable to use our airport reception service. For instance, if you were unable to book on time. Rest assured, there are a range of other transport options for getting to our Melbourne campuses. These include:
- taxi (approximately a 30-minute trip costing A$65)
- shuttle services such as:
- public transport connections to La Trobe University from Melbourne CBD.
If your flight is landing at Avalon Airport, you have the following transport options to reach your destination.
- The Skybus can drop you at Southern Cross Station in Melbourne or at Synnot Street in Werribee.
- The taxi bay, directly outside the terminal, serviced by Australia Wide Taxi and 13CABS. Fares will vary depending on your destination:
- Up to A$50 if you are travelling to Geelong.
- Up to A$130 if you are travelling to Melbourne.
Unfortunately, La Trobe University will not be able to cover or refund the cost of transportation from Avalon Airport to your destination.
Transport - Victorian regional campuses and Sydney Campus
Students can be reimbursed up to A$60 per person for the cost of their journey to a regional or Sydney campus. Please keep your receipts and provide them to the ASK La Trobe Help Zone at your campus. Unfortunately, the cost of hotel accommodation is not included.
If you’re travelling to a regional campus and require temporary accommodation in Melbourne prior to your departure, please read our suggestions on arranging temporary accommodation.
For any questions about getting to a regional campus, please contact International Arrival.
Our Sydney Campus is only a short 20-minute trip from the airport. Your transport options to the Campus include:
- The airport train, which will take you to the CBD. A single ticket will cost $19.40 and travel time to the Circular Quay station is 21 minutes. For more information visit Airport Link.
- Shuttle buses, taxis, Ubers and other transport options are available if you are travelling to areas where the train does not stop. Visit Sydney Airport website for more information.
Bendigo is a regional city located approximately 150 kilometres from Melbourne. The city can be accessed from Melbourne by bus and train, and from Sydney by air.
By air from Sydney
Flights operate daily between Sydney and Bendigo. For flight options visit the Qantas website.
Once you have arrived at Bendigo Airport, you can catch a taxi or Uber to your accommodation.
By land from Melbourne (bus or train)
If you arrive at Melbourne Airport between 6am and 5.30pm, you can catch a direct shuttle bus from Melbourne Airport to Bendigo. To use this service:
If you arrive at Melbourne Airport after 7pm, you can book an overnight stay at an airport hotel. The next day, you’ll be able to travel to Bendigo via the Bendigo Shuttle. Alternatively, you can:
- catch the SkyBus from Melbourne Airport to Southern Cross station
- book an onward train journey from Southern Cross train station to Bendigo train station.
Once you have arrived at Bendigo train station, you can catch a bus, taxi or Uber to your accommodation.
While Albury-Wodonga is located 3.5 hours by road from Melbourne Airport, it is only one hour by plane. You can arrange a connecting domestic flight from Melbourne Airport to Albury Airport by booking a flight with Webjet Flights.
While Mildura is a six-hour drive from Melbourne Airport, you can book a 55-minute connecting flight there. You can find flights from Tullamarine to Mildura through Regional Express, Qantas Airlines or Virgin Australia.
Student Welcome Desk
If you’re arriving at Sydney or Melbourne Airports, we recommend dropping by the Student Welcome Desk. You’ll be able to speak to other international students and receive valuable advice and information.
Airport reception booking form
To arrange airport reception from Melbourne Airport, fill out and submit our Airport Reception Request form.