Support to help you thrive
Wellbeing is just as important as success. La Trobe is a place brimming with culture and opportunities, but adjusting to uni has its challenges too. Don’t worry — we’re here to help.
We have comprehensive orientation and support programs to help you make a successful transition. Once you arrive, you’ll have free access to services focusing on everything from study skills and disability support, to mentoring and mental health.
Make friends, learn the ropes, get the skills
Our orientation programs are carefully designed to help you sow the seeds for a happy and successful student life.
- Orientation week includes seminars, tours and social events to help you learn the basics and find your feet.
- Ready4Uni is an online resource that helps you find out what to expect from your course, and prepare for your first week.
- Our La Trobe Host Program introduces you to friendly students who already know the ropes and are keen to help. They’ll provide tips and advice to help you get involved in the university community and settle in to your new study environment.
Ongoing support to help you succeed
Orientation is just the beginning. Throughout your degree, you’ll have access to a range of free support programs to help you refine your study skills and maintain your personal wellbeing.
- Peer learning advisors (PLAs) are experienced students who are available to help you stay on top of your studies. Learn about assignment writing, time management, research skills, and other topics relevant to your field of study. Study groups and workshops are available and run throughout the year.
- Smarthinking is an online tutoring service covering a range of topics including writing, maths, and core academic skills. The service includes assignment feedback, live tutoring, question submission and information boards.
- Free counselling is available for all La Trobe students — face-to-face, or via telephone and Skype. Counsellors are professionally trained to assist students in managing personal challenges and mental health.
These are just some of the ways we’ll support you to make the most of your life at La Trobe.
Diversity is in our DNA
We provide support services that recognise the unique needs of people from different backgrounds — including Indigenous Australians, LGBTIQ students, mature-aged students, people with a refugee background, and people with a disability.