QS Star ratings
QS Stars is a rating system that provides a detailed look at higher education institutions, focusing on specific topics such as teaching strength, graduate employability, research strength, inclusiveness and innovation.
In 2019 La Trobe University achieved five stars in the QS Star ratings with an overall rating of five stars as well as five-star ratings in eight categories, the maximum number possible. We achieved five-star ratings in the following categories:
- Specialist criteria - sports-related subjects
We are one of only six Australian universities to be rated at five stars in this number of areas.
Universities are evaluated on dozens of indicators across at least eight categories. After the assessment, universities are awarded with an overall star result, based on the number of points achieved.
Indicators for each category:
- Teaching: Typical indicators in teaching quality assessments are collation of student feedback through national student surveys, further study rate and student faculty ratio.
- Employability: Common indicators in this area are surveys of employers, graduate employment rates and careers service support.
- Research: Indicators considered here include assessments of research quality amongst academics, productivity (i.e. number of papers published), citations (i.e. how recognised and referred to those papers are by other academics) and awards.
- Internationalisation: Effective indicators could include the proportion of international students and staff, the numbers of exchange students arriving and departing, the number of nationalities represented in the student body, the number and strength of international partnerships with other universities and the presence of religious facilities.
- Facilities: Indicators such as sporting, IT, library and medical facilities, as well as the number of student societies are considered within this criterion.
- Innovation: Innovation measures the output of university activities and findings to economy, society and culture.
- Inclusiveness: This area looks at the accessibility of the university to students, particularly at scholarships and bursaries, disability access, gender balance and low-income outreach.
- Specialist Criteria: This category looks at accreditations and discipline rankings in a particular field – in this case, sports-related subjects.
More information on our QS Star rating is available from the QS website.