The University Council is the governing body of the University, presided over by the Chancellor and with membership defined by the La Trobe University Act of 1964.
The Academic Board considers and advises the Vice-Chancellor and the University Council on academic matters and any other broad issues which affect the academic excellence of the University.
Professor Christine Bigby chairs the Academic Board.
The Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor John Dewar, is the senior academic appointment of the University. He is assisted by a senior executive group which provides advice on strategic and operational planning.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students): Professor Jessica Vanderlelie
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education): Professor Nicolette Lee
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research): Professor Susan Dodds
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global and Regional): Professor Richard Speed
- Chief Operating Officer: Mr Mark Smith
- Provost (College of Science, Health and Engineering): Professor Rob Pike
- Provost (College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce): Professor Simon Evans
Head of Office, Office of the Vice-Chancellor
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Industry Engagement): Dr Megan Fisher
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International): Dr Stacey Farraway
- Pro-Vice Chancellor (Indigenous): Vacant
The position of Vice-Chancellor's Fellow strengthens the University's position as a quality higher-education destination including programs in sports-related study and student leadership and personal development programs.
- Professor Dennis Altman AM
- Professor Robert Manne
- Dr Elizabeth Finkel
- Tony Walker
- James Fazzino
- Professor Jenny Graves AO
- Ms Cathy McGowan
- Professor Mary Stuart
The University Ombudsman is able to provide advice and assistance in resolving complaints where a complaint or grievance regarding an academic matter or an administrative decision or action is not resolved through the relevant college, school or administrative department.
We have two Colleges:
- College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
- College of Science, Health and Engineering
Our colleges are each managed by a Pro Vice-Chancellor assisted by Associate Pro Vice-Chancellors and a General Manager. Within the colleges are a range of schools managed by Heads of School.
The administrative divisions of the University provide advice to senior management and a range of services and resources to members of the University to support them in the fulfilment of the University mission.
Campus directors are responsible for the day to day administration to the faculties in the pursuit of the academic mission of the University.