The University Council is the governing body of the University, presided over by the Chancellor and with membership defined by the La Trobe University Act of 1964.
The Academic Board considers and advises the Vice-Chancellor and the University Council on academic matters and any other broad issues which affect the academic excellence of the University.
Professor Christine Bigby chairs the Academic Board.
The Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor John Dewar, is assisted by a senior executive group which provides advice on strategic and operational planning.
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students): Professor Jessica Vanderlelie
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education): Professor Nicolette Lee
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research): Professor Susan Dodds
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Global and Regional): Professor Richard Speed
- Chief Operating Officer: Mr Mark Smith
- Provost: Professor Rob Pike
- Deputy Provost: Professor Parshia Lee-Stecum
Head of Office, Office of the Vice-Chancellor
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Educational Partnerships): Professor Amalia Di lorio
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate and Global Research): Professor Chris Pakes
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Capability): Professor Ashley Franks
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Industry Engagement): Dr Megan Fisher
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (International): Dr Stacey Farraway
- Pro Vice Chancellor (Indigenous): Vacant
Campus directors are responsible for the day to day administration to the faculties in the pursuit of the academic mission of the University.
The University Ombudsman is able to provide advice and assistance in resolving complaints where a complaint or grievance regarding an academic matter or an administrative decision or action is not resolved through the relevant college, school or administrative department.