Domestic students: accept your offer and enrol in subjects
Congratulations on your offer to study at La Trobe University and welcome to the La Trobe community.
Follow all the steps below to accept your offer and secure your place.
- Activate your account
- Accept your offer (note that you need to complete steps 3 and 4 below to secure your place in the course)
- Confirm your personal details and payment option
- Enrol in all of your subjects
Please note that we are currently updating the Handbook. This means the demonstration in the video will look different.
Watch the video and read the information below to see how to take these steps:
View the full video script (with sections linked to the YouTube video) [PDF 179KB]
Once you have completed these four steps, you have secured your place in your course.
You will also receive a separate automated email confirming your account details and that you have access to student systems.
Note: Some courses have limited places, so to secure your place you must enrol in at least one subject (equal to 15 credit points) by the lapse date stated in your offer letter. Your offer will lapse if enrolment in 15 credit points is not completed by your lapse date.
If you have activated your account but can't access your student systems yet, please try again after 24 hours. You can continue to complete your enrolment while you wait.
1. Set up your account
- Click the Activate account link below.
- Use your Applicant ID or La Trobe Student ID and personal email to verify your identity. This needs to match the ID provided to you by VTAC, UAC or Apply Direct (including any letters).
- All details need to exactly match your original application for you to continue, including your name and email address.
- After activating your account, your student ID number displays. This is your La Trobe student ID and your username for StudentOnLine.
- You'll receive a confirmation email.
These instructions are for domestic students only. International students should follow these steps instead.
Current La Trobe students
You already have a La Trobe account. Use your student ID and password to log in to StudentOnLine.
2. Accept your offer
- Log in to StudentOnLine.
- Under the Offers tab, select the view button from the left-hand column to view your offer.
- Select accept, defer or decline.
3. Confirm your personal details and payment option
- Confirm your personal details in StudentOnLine. You must make sure the details you provide match the personal details you have listed with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You can check your ATO personal details by creating an account and logging into myGov.
- Select Contact on the left sidebar menu.
- You must add a semester / term address and next of kin details.
- Amend and confirm your phone numbers, emails and other details.
- Confirm your payment option, and if eligible, complete the Commonwealth Assistance Forms (eCAFs).
Before completing your eCAFs, read the relevant HELP information booklet so you understand your obligations as a Commonwealth-supported student.
Note: If your personal or citizenship details are incorrect on Student OnLine, submit a request to ASK La Trobe with supporting documentation, such as birth certificate, drivers licence, marriage or change of name certificate, passport, Australian Citizenship Certificate or copy of your visa.
At La Trobe, the government subsidises many undergraduate and postgraduate places, known as commonwealth supported places. If you're eligible, you can defer the student contribution amount through HECS-HELP. If you have an Australian fee-paying place and you're eligible, you can defer your contribution through FEE-HELP.
As well as your tuition fees you'll pay a student services and amenities fee (SSAF) which covers all non-academic services costs at the university. If you're eligible, you can also defer this fee through SA-HELP.
Defer your fees: Australian citizens & permanent humanitarian visa holders
- Visit Study Assist to learn more about government payments and loans.
- If you haven't already created one, create your Unique Student Identifier (USI) as you'll need it to apply for government payments and loans.
- Have your tax file number (TFN) handy, or apply for one at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You will normally receive a TFN within 28 days of applying. Apply early as the ATO receives many applications before the census date and you may not get your TFN before the deadline.
Note: If you have applied for your TFN, you must provide evidence of this on the HECS-HELP form for conditional approval. You need to attach a copy of your TFN application and the matching Post Office receipt. For details, please see FAQ.
- Complete the relevant electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) through StudentOnLine.
- You need to complete these forms by the census date.
Pay your fees upfront
- If you're an Australian permanent resident (non-humanitarian) or a New Zealand citizen you must pay your fees upfront.
- If you're an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder, you can choose to pay your fees upfront rather than deferring your fees.
- Complete the relevant electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) on StudentOnLine.
- Complete these forms by the census date.
- There is a combined limit to how much you can borrow under HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, VET FEE-HELP and VET Student Loans. Please read about HELP loan limits to learn more.
- From January 2021, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number to be able to apply for HELP loans. See how to create your USI today.
4. Enrol in your subjects
- The easiest way to accept and enrol is to use the link in your offer email.
- If you have already started but have not completed these four steps, you must use the StudentOnLine link in your offer email to continue your enrolment.
- You haven't confirmed your place until you enrol in all your subjects for your first year.
- Follow the enrolment instructions (click the button below) to ensure you understand your study plan, successfully enrol in all your subjects and read up on your next steps (not applicable to Graduate research candidates).
Completed previous university study that you want credited towards your degree?
Apply for advanced standing within three working days of receiving your La Trobe offer
Graduate research students: You can not complete your enrolment online. Once you accept your offer online the Graduate Research School will finalise your enrolment and provide you with confirmation and further information.