About our research
Discover how our research and partnerships are addressing the key challenges of our time.
La Trobe University has a proud history of conducting research to address pressing societal needs. Our researchers work in partnership with community groups, industry and government to create opportunities and address issues of local, national and international importance. Our research positively impacts the communities we serve.
We work collaboratively across disciplines and with partners to develop fresh ways of thinking and conducting research. We are constantly seeking new ways to engage with and better serve our partners and our communities, to build relationships and develop solutions for the issues facing our society.
Our goal is to use our areas of strength to undertake high-quality research. Our research is focussed on five priority areas linked to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals:
- Sustainable food & agriculture
- Resilient environments & communities
- Healthy people, families & communities
- Understanding & preventing disease
- Social change & equity
Our expertise across multiple disciplines, underpinned by our commitment to digital innovation, positions us to excel in these areas. Working closely with Victoria’s regional communities in the context of a globally connected world, La Trobe researchers are pursuing the following interrelated goals:
- Production of high-quality foods and medicines for improved health, reduced environmental impact and enhanced economies
- Protection and restoration of vulnerable ecosystems and community resilience in the face of environmental and climate threat
- A healthy, safe and equitable life course for everyone
- Application of discoveries in the fundamental sciences and developments in technology to understand and prevent disease – especially at the intersection of cancer, immunity, cardiovascular and infectious disease research
- More just and equitable societies.
La Trobe researchers are working with First Nations communities and recognise and respect the unique relationships the Traditional Owners of the lands and waters on which our campuses are situated. In all of our research we are consultative, collaborative, ethical and respectful of cultural practices.
You can read more about our research vision and goals in our Research 2030 Plan [PDF 1.9MB].
Discover more about La Trobe’s research experts and find your research collaborators in our scholar profiles.
La Trobe is deeply engaged with and committed to addressing the world’s biggest issues; from health research and collaboration to reducing inequality and discrimination.
In 2020 our commitment was recognised in the Times Higher Education Impact rankings where we placed fourth in the world, third in Australia and first in Victoria for overall contribution to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals. We ranked first in the world for gender equality and second for our contribution to health and wellbeing.