Enrol into your subjects
Watch this video or read the information below:
How to enrol and next steps
- Check the University Handbook for an overview of your course structure (also known as a 'study plan'). Take the time to understand the structure as some course structures can be complicated. If you're starting an undergraduate course and have a major in mind, have a look at the prerequisite subjects you might need to do in your first year.
Note: A typical full time study load (or 'equivalent full time study load' EFTSL) is four subjects in Semester 1, and four subjects in Semester 2 (a total of eight subjects over the academic year).
- Use La Trobe’s Study Plan Guides tool to assist you with visualising your course enrolment. The Study Plan Guides tool is available to support students starting a new undergraduate course with their enrolment.
- If your course requires electives, check the Handbook to find suitable elective subjects.See also: Choosing subjects and electives
- Write down the subject codes you want to study – these will be useful when you're enrolling.
Need more help enrolling?
- Log in to StudentOnLine and click on the My Study tile
- Click the Plan and Enrol button, available on the Manage My Course and Course Overview pages at the top left-hand corner.
- On the Plan and Enrol page you will see an Unscheduled column with core and/or elective subjects. Unscheduled refers to subjects that need to be assigned to a study period. Please note that this is different to timetabling. If you want to see the subject requirements and when it is available, you can select Click for details. This will provide further information about the subject and display subject availabilities.
- You can create a new study period by clicking Plan a Study Period to commence enrolment for the current year and select the study period from the list. Alternatively, you can select the Schedule button on the subject to plan the study period.
- Select the Year and Study Period. The Study Period Date will populate automatically. Click the Next button.
- All Subjects with a confirmed study period for the selected Study Period will appear on the screen. Click the View button to view Subject details.
- Use the tick boxes to add subjects to the Study Period. (Maximum of 6 per study period).
- When you have added all the subjects to the study period/s you want to enrol into, select the Finish button to return to the Plan and Enrol page. The scheduled subjects now appear in a separate column with the status of NOT ENROLLED.
- Select the Enrol button at the top of the Study Period column; you will be presented with a summary of the subjects you are about to enrol in. Select the Confirm button to confirm your enrolment.
- Your subjects will then show as 'enrolled' in the Study Period column.
NOTE: You will be unable to enrol in subjects if you still have outstanding pre-enrolment tasks.
If you're an undergraduate student, you'll also need to complete the online Academic Integrity and Wominjeka La Trobe Modules.
Graduate Research Students: you are not able to self enrol in subjects. If coursework is a compulsory part of your degree, the Graduate Research School will enrol you in the relevant subjects prior to the start of semester. If you are interested in enrolling in elective subjects, please complete the Add or Remove Subjects form.
Need more help enrolling?
After successfully enrolling there are a few things you should do before classes start.
- Set up Multi-Factor Authentication
- Access your La Trobe email - we will send all University notices and announcements to this.
- Get your student ID card
- Create your timetable
- Attend Orientation
- Keep up-to-date with MyLaTrobe
After you've enrolled, get ready for uni:
- get your ID
- create your timetable
- prepare to study.