Your academic progress

What is academic progress?

Academic progress is about you and La Trobe working together to ensure you manage your studies and are able to successfully complete your course.

We understand that your studies can be impacted by many things. For example, you may find one of your subjects especially hard, or you may have personal issues that make it hard to study effectively. Many students have difficulties – you're not alone.

Throughout the year, we monitor your academic progress and assess whether it is satisfactory or unsatisfactory. By monitoring your academic progress, we can determine whether supportive interventions will benefit you and your studies.

What we do

One way we check whether you are going okay is by monitoring your final marks and grades. We do this at the end of every progression period for coursework students. There are three progression periods in the academic year.

We assess your progress as satisfactory or unsatisfactory, depending on how many subjects you passed or failed in the last progression period and how long you're taking to complete your course.

Your progress is assessed as the following:



If your progress is deemed satisfactory, and you have no fails for the progression period, you'll simply continue with your course, or be invited to graduate if you've finished. You won't hear from us if your progress is assessed as satisfactory and you do not need to take any action.

Satisfactory - but you've failed a subject

If your progress is deemed satisfactory but you've failed less than 50% of your credit points in a progression period, we'll send you an email to let you know. This email is Stage 1 of the formal academic progression process and is the first support intervention in a series of escalating interventions. Your email will detail how to access support services and explain what happens if your studies are assessed as unsatisfactory for the next progression period.


If your progress is deemed unsatisfactory, you’ll move through to Stage 2 or 3 of the formal academic progression process. These escalating support interventions are designed to help you succeed at uni, as we recognise that early identification and access to support services will help to achieve that. It is our hope that interventions will help you manage your studies so that you can continue in your course.

Unsatisfactory - academic progress is at risk

This is Stage 2 of the formal academic progression process. You will reach Stage 2 if you:

  1. fail for the first time any workplace-based subject as listed from time to time in the University Handbook;
  2. fail 50% or more of the sum of the credit points for which you are enrolled in for any given progression period; or
  3. fail a subject in a course for a second or subsequent time; or
  4. exceed the maximum allowed period for attempting a course of study.
  5. Have an overall course Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 0-49 (regardless of the most recent progression period WAM).

At this stage of the formal academic progression process, you are required to:

  • Meet with your Course/Discipline Coordinator. At the meeting, you'll review your course plan and discuss options to get your progress back on track.
  • Attend a support workshop which you must book via the academic progress LMS site (on-campus students only).
  • You are also encouraged to seek personal support from appropriate services.

Unsatisfactory - Unsatisfactory Progress Committee (UPC) show cause meeting

This is Stage 3 of the formal academic progression process. You will reach Stage 3 if you:

  1. are identified as Stage 2 or Stage 3, in the last enrolled progression period; or
  2. fail for the second time any workplace-based subject as listed from time to time in the University Handbook; or
  3. for the second time fail 50% or more of the sum of the credit points you are enrolled in for any given progression period; or
  4. fail a subject in a course for a third time; or
  5. fail to meet any conditions previously imposed on your enrolment by the College; or
  6. do not meet the target date for completion of the course of study as agreed at Stage 2.
  7. Have an overall course Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 0-49 (regardless of the most recent progression period WAM) and one previous at risk (amber) status within the currently admitted course.

If your academic progress doesn't improve, the UPC will meet to assess your situation and you will receive an email notifying you of the conditions placed on your enrolment. You can either accept the enrolment conditions, or you can book in to discuss your situation at a UPC show cause meeting with an Academic Progress Officer, senior College staff, and Student Administration staff. The show cause UPC will discuss your progress with you, then decide on a course of action and support services for you. In some circumstances, you may be excluded from your course.

Before meeting with the show cause UPC we ask that you fill out the UPC submission form. The form will provide the committee with information about any problems or difficulties you have experienced during your studies.

Talk to us and try not to panic – support available to you

If you receive an email as part of the formal academic progression process, it's very important that you engage with us and seek out support services. Do everything you can to give yourself the best possible chance of success, rather than dropping out without giving things a good go.

If we've advised you your progress is inadequate, we encourage you to seek support and make the most of your time at university. Make sure you use everything that's available to you as we wish for you to reach your full potential.

Study support and crisis help

Academic Recovery LMS page and workshops

The LMS modules are designed to help you understand what factors may be impacting your academic success and what supports are available to help you put your best foot forward and get back on track. This LMS page is open to all students, no matter where you are on the Academic progress scale.

The modules include:

  • Self-assessment
  • Strategies for achieving at Uni
  • Tips to get back on track
  • How to shift your mindset
  • Workshops and appointments for success
  • Finding the support you need around the Uni

Visit the Academic Recovery LMS

Support available to you

If you're facing challenges, see our table of all services that can help you, or view the list below.

Table of all services

Your Academics

Talk to your Course/Discipline Coordinator about any issues or concerns affecting your studies.

International Students

Please seek advice from International Student Services to ensure you can complete your course within the time period of your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) – a condition of your student visa. La Trobe International can provide individual support for international students.

Student advocates

Student Advocates are employees of the La Trobe Student Union (LTSU). They can assist you with administrative issues, welfare and support in a confidential, safe setting.

Student Advocates can provide the following services:
  • helping students to understand their situation and discuss available options;
  • helping students to understand University Policy and Procedures;
  • helping students to prepare written submissions/letters; and
  • attending hearings and meetings with students as a support person

These services are provided at no cost to you. The Student Advocates are available to assist students from all campuses and can be contacted via or call +61 3 9479 2469.


La Trobe's counselling service offers a range of personal support options. From individual counselling to workshops and health promotion events. They also provide access to numerous self-help resources.

Library learning support

The Library is the place to develop and extend skills, for every student, at every level, on every campus through workshops, walk-ins and consultations. Seek assistance from Peer Learning Advisers (PLAs) and find a range of activities to assist you with your learning and studying during the semester.

The AccessAbility Hub

The AccessAbility Hub can help if you are living with a mental health condition, ongoing medical condition or disability (including physical, neurological, intellectual, sensory, acquired brain injury, or specific learning difficulty).

Safer Community

Safer Community is a free and confidential service you can access if you experience or witness unacceptable or concerning behaviour to seek advice, support and referrals.

Student Advisors

Student advisors can assist all first-year students and Support coordinators provide support for Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, Shepparton and Mildura students, and Scholarship students from all campuses.

Appeals, complaints and reviews


If the University imposes a condition on your enrolment, asks you to attend an Unsatisfactory Progress Committee meeting, or excludes you from your course, they will tell you about your options for appeal or review. You must lodge your Student Appeal Application within 20 working days from the date of the letter.

You may have grounds for appeal if you can demonstrate that the decision maker:

  • Was unfair or unjust,
  • didn't act in line with the Academic progress statute 2010,
  • failed to take account of a relevant consideration, or took account of an irrelevant consideration.

Complaints and reviews

If you have a complaint about how your case was handled, the Student Complaints Office can explain what actions you can take. These might include:

  1. firstly, asking the University Ombudsman to review the processes the University followed, to make sure they were correct
  2. if internal reviews are unsuccessful, asking the Victorian Ombudsman to review the processes the University used and determine whether they were reasonable or unreasonable.

International students

If your College decides to exclude you, La Trobe must report to the Department of Home Affairs that you haven't met the academic progress requirements for your course.

The Department may cancel your student visa.

If you:

  • choose not to appeal, we'll lodge the report 20 working days after the date of the exclusion letter from your College
  • choose to appeal, and if your appeal is unsuccessful, we'll lodge the report 20 working days after the date of the letter informing you that your appeal was unsuccessful.

The 20 working days gives you time to lodge a complaint or ask for a review. Contact International Student Services for support and assistance.