Learning Management System (LMS)
La Trobe's Learning Management System (LMS) is Moodle. This system may be referred to as the 'LMS' or as 'Moodle' - it is the same system.
The LMS is an online learning environment that allows you to locate learning materials and activities related to your studies from any location with internet access.
Accessing the LMS
All authorised student users have been issued with a Username and Password. These are the same as the Username and Password for accessing your University email account.
If you have forgotten your password please contact Student IT Support.
Go to the LMS log in page and login using your student username and password. Once you have logged in a list of your available LMS subjects will be shown.
Note: it can take up to 48 hours after enrolment for subjects to become available in the LMS. See Troubleshooting for details.
The LMS on mobile devices
The LMS now features a mobile theme that will display if the LMS is accessed via a mobile device. While the mobile theme will allow you to view LMS content (including Echo360 recordings), it should not be used to attempt any assessment (submitting assignments and attempting quizzes). Assessment items should only be accessed when using the LMS via a desktop or laptop computer with a supported browser.
Your Profile Photo in the LMS
Your official La Trobe student ID photo has been loaded into the LMS. If you have already uploaded your own photo to the LMS, it will have been overwritten with the official La Trobe student ID photo. By default, your photo will be visible only to you and to the lecturers and tutors of your subjects. You will have the option of making your photo public and replacing it should you wish to do so. You can do this from the Edit Profile setting in the Settings block.
Quick reference guide
For an overview of the LMS menus and features, please download the LMS Quick reference Guide [PDF] or view below.
Why can't I log in?
There could be many reasons but the most probable reason is that you have simply forgotten your password, are trying the wrong password or are entering your password incorrectly. Some other things to think about include:
- Confirm your username and password. You can get help with resetting your password on our Reset Password page. Note: passwords are case sensitive, check the caps lock is off.
- Check your Statement of Account (through StudentOnline) to ensure that you are correctly enrolled in at least one subject
- Confirm that your lecturer intends you to use this system. Not all subjects use the LMS. Even if you have used this system in the past, your lecturer this year may employ other mechanisms
Why can't I see my subjects?
It can take up to 24 hours after enrolment for subjects to become available in the LMS. Please log into StudentOnLine to confirm you are enrolled in the subject and confirm with your lecturer that LMS is required for your subject.
If you still can not see your subject in the LMS please confirm the missing subject is not hidden:
- Log into LMS
- Click the Customise this page button in the top right corner of the dashboard.
- Ensure the Number of subjects to display field is set to Always show all. You can also click-and-drag subjects to place them in a desired display order. They will appear on your LMS dashboard in this order after finalising changes.
- Click the Stop customising this page button in the top right-hand corner of the dashboard.
Confirm subjects or panels have not been docked, docked subjects will appear as a small red tab on the left side of your screen. Clicking on the tab and then the corresponding > arrow will move this tab to the centre of the screen. You may also need to expand the section by clicking on the + button.
If your subjects have still not appeared 24 hours after enrolling it is likely your lecturer has selected a start date for the subject which has not yet passed, please contact your lecturer or Student IT Support to confirm.