Change enrolment

You can enrol into subjects until the end of week 1 for a Term, or the end of week 2 for a Semester. You can withdraw from subjects right up until census date. To do this, log in to StudentOnLine and go to the 'My Enrolment' tab.

From here you can:

  • withdraw from a subject
  • add a new subject (within the first week of a Term or the first two weeks of a Semester)
  • change the teaching period of a subject (if available within the first week of a Term or the first two weeks of a Semester).

If you can't enrol via StudentOnLine, under limited circumstances you can request that this is considered by completing an online Variation of Enrolment (VOE) form. The online form can be found under the enrolment tab in StudentOnLine.

Enrolling in Subjects Late

Please note if you are attempting to enrol in Semester 2 subjects this is a late enrolment (i.e. enrolling after week 2 of semester).

You must request that the Subject Coordinator obtain Head of School or Director, Learning and Teaching approval in writing to add a subject late.

If you do not provide the School approval prior to submitting your online Variation of Enrolment, the VOE application cannot be processed.

For further information, see the Changing your subjects/enrolment FAQ.

Changing your subjects/enrolment FAQ

You cannot withdraw from a subject once the teaching period in which it is being taught has ended.

It can take up to 24 hours after you have confirmed your enrolment in a subject, before you can allocate yourself to timetable activities in Allocate Plus.


If you withdraw from a subject after one third of the teaching period has passed, you will have a Withdrawn grade recorded against the subject.

If you withdraw from a subject on or before the census date, the subject will be deleted and you will not incur a financial penalty.

'Withdrawn' signifies that you have withdrawn without failing the subject (s), incurring a financial penalty.

If you withdraw from a subject after two thirds of the teaching period has passed, you will have a KN grade recorded against the subject.

'KN' signifies that you have withdrawn from and failed the subject (s), thus incurring a financial penalty.

Can I do more than four subjects in semester 1 and 2?

Studying more than four subjects (60 credit points) per semester is called overloading. Overloading is not available in most courses because classes and assessments are scheduled around students taking the standard number of subjects.

If you would like to study additional subjects to fast-track your course you may be interested in Summer or Winter school.

If you are still interested in overloading ask a question and we will confirm if overloading is possible in your course.

Please note, the maximum enrolment for Summer 2 and Summer 3 is two subjects (30 credit points) and for Winter Semester one subject (15 credit points).


Each subject costs a certain amount of money. If you withdraw from a subject after census date, you still have to pay the course fee. You can apply for a refund or remission of debt if your withdrawal was due to exceptional circumstances.

Austudy and Youth Allowance

If you receive benefits you must notify Centrelink within seven days. To confirm, check with Centrelink.

International students

International students holding a student visa are reminded that Condition 8202 relates to a student visa holder's enrolment and completion within the time of their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and maintaining academic progress.

As required under Section 19 of the ESOS Act 2000 and Standard 8 of The National Code 2018, La Trobe University must monitor the workload of students to ensure they complete the course within the duration specified in their CoE and do not exceed the allowable portion of online or distance learning. Therefore, students are required to be enrolled on a full time basis at all times*, except where the College has approved an under enrolment.

Further advice is available at

*Please note: International students must also be enrolled in at least one face-to-face subject each compulsory teaching period and no more than One Third of a student's total enrolment can be composed of Online or Distance Education Subjects.

Transferring to another course

To transfer to a new course, you need to be enrolled in your current course, then submit your transfer application. View the Course Transfer page for detailed information and specific course transfer procedures.