Support services

International Student Services

Throughout your time at La Trobe, you’re always welcome to seek advice, information and support from the International Student Services (ISS) team in La Trobe International. We can help you with academic, social, financial, cultural, and pretty much any issue you encounter. It’s important to seek help early if you experience any difficulties. To find our international offices, check our contacts website.

One-on-one help

You can make a one-hour appointment with International Student Services (ISS) to talk about things like:

  • academic, financial, accommodation, cultural and personal issues
  • visa issues
  • help on campus
  • community activities and volunteer work opportunities
  • critical incidents
  • University policies and procedures.

All appointments are confidential and can be arranged either face to face or online. To make an appointment, come to your local International office or call us on (03) 9479 1199 or Ask a Question online.

24-hour student support hotline

If you need help after-hours (at night, during public holidays or on the weekends) call 1800 758 360 – we want to help you with anything you might be worried about (Calls are free from landlines but standard call rates apply from mobile phones).

Let’s stay connected - International Student Lounge

International Student Services warmly invite you to join us in the online International Student Lounge. We will share tips about studying online, keeping connected, staying healthy and happy, and answering your questions. The discussion will be shaped by you and topics may include student visas, enrolment, financial support, and keeping healthy and well. Recommendations for recipes, hobbies and funny cat videos are welcome! We hope to see you there.

For details and how to join, follow our International Student Services Facebook page and join the Transition @La Trobe Facebook group.

ASK La Trobe

ASK La Trobe is where you can contact staff directly with your student administration enquiries and issues. You will find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about study and student life. You can search our FAQs at your convenience. You can also submit the online enquiry form and find information on the ASK La Trobe Help Zone on their website.

Career Support

La Trobe University provides support for career development and helping with employment opportunities for all our students.

Contact a Careers Adviser

The Career Ready team are here to support you to develop your career readiness - whether that be advice on finding a job, choosing a career path, becoming an entrepreneur, or for ideas on developing your skills.

Services offered:

Resources in the Careers and Employment office

Please see our Career Ready website for more information about career planning, accessing our job database, careers events and for advice on resume writing and interview skills.

Dedicated advice and resources are also available for international students who are:

  • seeking work in Australia, as well as what to consider when returning home if you choose to after your degree
  • interested in working, studying or volunteering overseas.

Stand out from the crowd

La Trobe also offers programs to develop employability skills. These include:

  • Mentoring program - matches you with someone who has experience in your field of interest and can share their knowledge and provide you with guidance and support.
  • Voluntary work experience - enables you to develop practical skills and gain a greater insight into what goes on in the workplace.
  • Many courses at La Trobe offer programs that offer practical experience in an industry related to your studies. These will vary depending on which course you are studying.
  • Internships
    • Gain valuable industry experience and get academic credit at the same time.
    • Industry-based learning.
    • Work with an industry partner on a project within your course of study.
    • Clinical and education placements are a component of many courses in health sciences and education.

Working in Australia

There are restrictions on the number of hours you can work even when you have been granted permission to work. We advise you to check with the Department of Home Affairs on the rules regarding working in Australia. To work in Australia, an individual must have a Tax File Number (TFN). This can be obtained online from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Counselling and mental health

Counseling Services provide caring and effective psychological, social, and emotional support to enhance our students' academic and personal success.

Services offered:

  • Individual counselling: you can choose to participate in counselling face-to-face, via phone, or online.
  • Group programs and workshops: free groups and workshops around study-related skills, health and wellbeing are available every semester.
  • Self-help resources for wellbeing.
  • Support for students and staff at risk of violent and threatening behaviour.

For more information or book an appointment with one of our counsellors, visit the Counselling Services website.