What is an internal course transfer?
You can apply for an internal course transfer if you wish to transfer:
- from one La Trobe University coursework degree to another
- to a different La Trobe University campus
You can only apply for an internal course transfer if:
- you haven’t yet completed your current course
- you wish to transfer into the same level of course (e.g. Bachelor degree to Bachelor degree)
- you aren't transferring from a Health course at one of our regional campuses to a metropolitan campus
We will consider the following when evaluating your transfer request:
- entrance requirements for the new course, including prerequisites
- academic performance to date, such as your Weighted Average Mark (WAM)
- places available in the course into which you wish to transfer.
Course Transfer selection is undertaken using multiple assessment criteria including previous academic performance in your current course. Due to limited places, we encourage you to focus on your current studies to the best of your ability to provide you with the best possible change of being successful in your transfer.
Whilst we cannot provide you with the exact WAM you need to be considered, you can check the pre requisites for course from the La Trobe Find a Course page under Entry Requirements. This will advise you of any prerequisite studies that you require for the course including mathematics, science etc.
Current La Trobe students before you apply:
- Check the find a course page for available courses and pre-requisite requirements
- Check the course-specific requirements below in the expandable accordions, if relevant
Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course transfers
- View the Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course transfer specific requirements.
Law course transfers
Bachelor of Laws (Undergrad) and all double degrees Melbourne and Bendigo:
- One Semester of full time degree study (60cp) with a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 80. Student must have passed all law subjects, if any, undertaken in the study period under consideration; OR
- One year of full time degree study (120cp) with a minimum WAM of 70. Student must have passed all law subjects, if any, undertaken in the study period under consideration.
Bachelor of Laws (Grad Entry) Melbourne and Bendigo:
- Completion of an Australian Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with an overall average of 60% (equivalent to a WAM of 60) and no more than 5 fails.
Bachelor of Criminology:
- One Semester of full-time degree study (60cp) with a minimum WAM of 70. Student must have passed all criminology subjects, if any, undertaken in the study period under consideration; OR
- One year of full-time degree study (120cp) with a minimum WAM of 60. Student must have passed all criminology subjects, if any, undertaken in the study period under consideration.
For all transfers from a single law degree to a double law degree, or a double law degree to a single law degree, applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Health Science and Nursing course transfers
Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-Registration) is not open Course Transfer midyear entry (Semester 2, 2021) for current La Trobe students.
La Trobe Rural Health School campus transfers
Students that are currently studying a clinical course at one of our regional campuses and wish to transfer to a metropolitan campus will be selected as per standard competitive selection process.
These courses are offered through VTAC*, please refer to the VTAC website for information on how to lodge an application and selection requirements.
* Students in the following courses may apply via the course transfer process as they are no longer available via VTAC: Bachelor of Applied Science / Master of Physiotherapy Practice, Bachelor of Applied Science / Master of Occupational Therapy Practice, Bachelor of Applied Science / Master of Speech Pathology
Current La Trobe Domestic students how to apply:
For all other courses please see the course application closing dates website.
If you are having problems logging in to your account please go to the "Apply Here" link above from here you will be able to select "forgot your password".
Current La Trobe International students how to apply:
Course transfer application opening and closing date for International students are
Semester 1 :
- Course transfer application opens: 1st September
- Course transfer application Close: 31st January*
- Course transfer application opens: 1st April
- Course transfer application Close: 30th May*
*Application received after the closing date will be automatically withdrawn
Please note that if you are an international student, you will need to make a direct application to us through the above link for your new course.
Note for sponsored students: As a sponsored student, you will be required to provide written evidence showing your sponsor approval for you to transfer to a new program. The evidence must be provided once your current semester result is released. Upon receiving written approval from your sponsor, it is your responsibility to apply and obtain an updated financial guarantee for the new program and submit to SponsoredPrograms@latrobe.edu.au
you will need to make a direct application to us through the above link for your new course.
After you apply:
Your internal course transfer application will begin to be assessed once results have been released, please refer to result release dates. You should allow for processing time after results have been released.
You will be given the maximum allowable credit (advanced standing) for your new course based on your previous studies.
Note that transferring to a different course may result in higher/lower fees depending on the fee band and the length of the course.
If you're a scholarship holder, please note that your scholarship may not be transferable to another course. Please refer to your scholarship Terms & Conditions.
La Trobe International scholarship holders: if you are an international student and currently hold a La Trobe International scholarship, please check your new course preference is eligible for the scholarship again HERE prior to submitting your course transfer application.
You'll receive a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) after you receive confirmation of approval of your course transfer.