Forms and resources
You can now access and submit a number of candidature forms online - rather than using individual word documents. Expand the graduate research candidates tab below to access the forms - under the During your candidature heading.
Important: please note that when submitting an online form you may currently receive a ‘Server 500 error message’. Don’t worry, despite this error appearing, your form will still have been submitted on to the next review stage. We are working closely with ICT to resolve this issue.
How to use the new online forms
- you will need to login to the forms using your student account. If you are already logged into your computer using your student account, you will automatically be logged in using single sign on. If you are logged into your computer using your institutional or staff account, you will either need to open the link in a private or incognito window in Chrome, Safari or Microsoft Edge, or log off your computer and login again using your student username or email and password (your student email ends in students.latrobe.edu.au).
- ensure you use another browser (try Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer browser or Edge), rather than Firefox
- note than once you start filling in a form, you can't save it and go back to complete it at a later date. Ensure you start filling in the form only when you have all the information and are ready to submit.
- if you decide not to submit the form, you can just close your browser window - the form won't be saved to your supervisor until you click 'Submit'
- for any troubleshooting issues, check out our FAQs. If your query is not covered, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate research candidates
Getting ready to apply
- Confidential Academic Referee Report Form [DOC 15KB]
- Guidelines to writing a research proposal [PDF 61KB]
- Candidature and Scholarship Application Form [DOC 86KB]
- Revive Candidature Application [DOC 114KB
- Application to Defer your Candidature Offer [DOC 76KB]
During your candidature
You will need to login to the forms using your student account. If you are already logged into your computer using your student account, you will automatically be logged in using single sign on.
If you are logged into your computer using your institutional or staff account, you will either need to open the link to the form in a private or incognito window in Chrome, Safari or Microsoft Edge, or log off your computer and login again using your student username or email and password (your student email ends in students.latrobe.edu.au).
The online forms are not compatible with Firefox. We recommend using Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.
Supervisors and other staff cannot initiate an online form. If your candidate is not able to submit the form themselves, please contact email@example.com.
You can check your current student details, including candidature and progress dates, previous leave of absence taken, supervisors and thesis title in MyOverview .
- Add or remove subjects
- Change in thesis topic
- Change of study rate
- Change to Progress Committee Chair and/or independent members
- Extension to candidature or expected work submission date
- External candidature
- Leave of absence
- MyOverview – check your student details including candidature and progress milestone dates, supervision details, thesis title.
- Study away - Please note: All international travel is suspended at the moment. If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supervisor variation
- Withdrawal of candidature
Progress Milestones and Ad-Hoc Reviews are now handled by the online agreements system. If the Progress Committee is recommending a degree transfer, the Chair needs to complete the Progress Committee Assessment Form (PCA) form (linked below) and attach it to their Progress Report in the agreements system.
Please contact Progress.GRS@latrobe.edu.au for more information.
- Postponement of Milestone Form [DOC 98KB]
- Application to transfer between graduate research degrees: progress committee assessment (PCA) form [DOC 40KB]
Graduate research examination forms are now submitted through the PRIME Researcher Portal.
For the Schedule for Presentation of Theses by Higher Degrees By Research mentioned in the NOI and ATS form, please refer to our policies, guidelines for graduate research page.
Research Codes - Australian New Zealand Standard Research Classification
Useful resources for graduate researchers
If you require a website to support communication and recruitment for your research project, there are a number of options open to you.
La Trobe does not support the development of websites within the latrobe.edu.au domain for individual graduate research candidates. There are however a number of free and low cost options that provide basic functionality and easy to use interfaces. Our recommendations are:
You may also consider using the Google Docs platform. Google Docs provides an easy and free way to share information.
In some cases, where you are the member of a specialist research centre, team or unit that has its own La Trobe website, it may be possible to publish information on these pages. Clearance for this would need to be sought through the Business Development Manager or Director of the research centre, team or unit you are connected with.
It's essential to note that if you are intending to use your website to recruit for your research project that you need to have ethics approval before you begin recruitment. If you don't receive prior approval, you risk invalidating your collected data. You can apply for ethics approval via the ethics, biosafety and integrity webpage.
It's also important to keep in mind that you should consult with your research supervisor should you wish to publish any findings of your research project online.
Academic integrity, plagiarism and iThenticate
Being familiar and complying with academic integrity requirements and practices in your discipline is every candidate's responsibility. Citing sources accurately and appropriately is a core element of research integrity. If you have published during your candidature, or plan to, and want to use some or all of that material (text, data, ideas etc.) in your thesis, you need to manage that process carefully and discuss it with your supervisor. The GRS recommends using the text-matching software iThenticate to help avoid inadvertent plagiarism and manage citation practices, including self-citation.
Social media resources
The GRS recommends that all candidates establish a social media presence early on in candidature, particularly a Twitter and LinkedIn account. These resources can be used for communication of your research, for building networks and to support recruitment for your research project. The RED team run information sessions on the effective use of these resources.
Official La Trobe stationery
Branded stationery is available for use for communications related to your research project. You will need to contact email@example.com to request a copy for use.
- La Trobe letterhead
Conference presentation materials
The following PowerPoint templates are available to support the presentation of your research at conferences both within and external to La Trobe.
The GRS recommends that officially branded PowerPoint templates are used. You will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy for use.
- PowerPoint template
- Poster template for conference poster sessions
To request any of the graduate research documents listed above in an alternative format please contact email@example.com.
The policies and guidelines that relate to these forms can be viewed on the policies and guidelines page for graduate research.
Graduate research degree supervisors
Ethics and biosafety information and forms
To access information and forms on ethics and biosafety, please visit the ethics, biosafety and integrity website.
Other forms and resources can be found at: