Financial resources

Financial stress is common for many students during COVID-19. It can be caused by:

  • loss or difficulty in finding work
  • ineligibility for Job Seeker or Job Keeper
  • changes of circumstances.
  • financial responsibilities due to other family members losing jobs, etc.

Listed below are some other useful financial supports available in the community.

Please note

The below information is intended as a guide only. Please check all information and eligibility requirements on the governing pages.

Australian Federal Government resources

  • $1500 Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment distributed by the federal government for Victorians who can't earn an income because they must self-isolate or quarantine at home, or are caring for someone with COVID-19.


Centrelink provides access to government support such as:

  • JobSeeker
  • rent assistance
  • Coronavirus supplement
  • study support payments.

There are strict eligibility requirements, please check eligibility.

Victorian State Government resources

Other resources

  • National Debt Hotline access to free financial counselling plus tips and guides to manage your financial situation.
  • MoneySmart is a national website run by ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission) providing practical advice on budgeting, managing debts, borrowing and credit.
  • No Interest Loan Scheme provide individuals and families on low incomes with access to safe, fair and affordable credit.

La Trobe Financial Counselling

La Trobe Financial counsellors are qualified professionals who provide information, advice and advocacy to people in financial difficulty.

Their services are non-judgmental, free, independent and confidential.


Visit: The Health and Wellbeing Centre, Ground Floor, Peribolos East, Melbourne (Bundoora)

La Trobe financial assistance

We offer a number of different financial support options you may be eligible for including support for low income and disadvantaged students.

  • Vincent de Paul Society provide a range of services, including financial support, emergency relief, food and food vouchers.
  • The Salvation Army can help with financial advice and support for immediate basic needs in a crisis including family violence and risk of homelessness.
  • Empower provide a number of food relief centers for those in need of emergency food support.
  • The Red Cross can provide emergency relief, in particular at the moment, for those on temporary visas.

  • Darebin City Council provides information and support on how to access emergency relief, financial assistance and food.
  • Mildura Community Relief Service is a council run service during Covid-19 which connects people undergoing financial hardship to services such as food packages and shopping vouchers.
  • Greater Shepparton Relief provides a council information and advice service on how to access a range of services in the Shepparton area.
  • Wodonga Council provides general information and advice on support available.

For a comprehensive list of external support ranging from 24hr crisis support to emergency food and housing. Please visit our external support page.

If you know of any great resources we may have missed or would like to provide any feedback. Please let us know by emailing us at: