Access your email
You can access your student email from a La Trobe computer, personal computer or mobile device. To login, enter your username (e.g <your student ID>@students.ltu.edu.au) and password.
Using a web browser
The simplest way to access your student emails from any device is by navigating to Outlook Web App (OWA) using a supported web browser.Outlook Web App (OWA)
Using the Microsoft Outlook client
Student IT Support officially support the Microsoft Outlook application for managing your student emails. If you don't have Outlook installed yet, visit our guide to installing Office Pro Plus.
Setup - Microsoft Windows
- Launch Outlook (e.g from the Start Menu).
- If you're not prompted to sign in straight away click File > Add Account. Otherwise, type your student username (e.g email@example.com) and click Connect.
- Follow the prompts to continue adding your account. You may be prompted to restart Outlook after adding your account to begin using it.
Setup - Apple macOS
- Launch Outlook (e.g from Finder > Applications)
- If you're not prompted to sign in straight away click Tools > Accounts. Then press the (+) sign > New Account.
- Type your student username (e.g firstname.lastname@example.org) and follow the prompts to continue adding your account.
Setup - Apple iOS (iPhone / iPad)
- If you don't have Microsoft Outlook installed, you can download it from the App Store. Otherwise, launch Outlook
- If you're not prompted to sign in straight away, tap Menu > Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account. Otherwise, enter your student username (e.g email@example.com) then tap Add Account.
- Follow the prompts to continue adding your account.
Setup - Google Android
- If you don't have Microsoft Outlook installed, you can download it from Google Play. Otherwise, launch Outlook.
- If you're not prompted to sign in straight away, tap Menu > Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account. Otherwise, enter your student username (e.g firstname.lastname@example.org) then tap Continue.
- Follow the prompts to continue adding your account.
When logging into your student email, make sure to enter your username in the correct format, '<your student ID>@students.ltu.edu.au'. Outlook will recognise this username and prompt for your password. If you experience a problem with Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and require assistance, please see our dedicated MFA help page.
Troubleshooting Outlook Web (OWA)
Common issues with Outlook Web (OWA) can be resolved by clearing your browser cache and cookies (see FaQ). Also ensure that your are using the latest version of a supported web browser.
Troubleshooting the Windows client
Common issues with the Windows Outlook client can be resolved by running a repair of the installation. Do do this, open Control Panel > Programs & Features. Select 'Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise' (yours may be named slightly different) and click 'Change'. You will be presented with an option to run a 'Quick' or 'Full' repair. After the repair is complete, restart your PC and try launching Outlook again.
If you're experiencing issues with activating Outlook, you can try running the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA). This tool will ask a series of questions regarding the issue your experiencing with Office Apps and attempt to solve them automatically. The SaRA tool can be downloaded here.
Troubleshooting the MacOS client
Common issues with the Mac client can be resolved by running the Office License Removal Tool. The Tool will remove the Office Apps license files on your mac and thus allow you to re-sign in using your La Trobe account to activate. If you own a personal license for your installation of Office Apps, we do not recommend using this tool.
Using other mail clients
Student IT Support cannot confirm compatibility or provide full support of your student email account with a mail client other than Microsoft Outlook. For devices where Microsoft Outlook is not compatible, we recommend accessing your student email using Outlook Web (OWA) using a supported web browser.
Setup - Other mail clients
- Protocol: IMAP
- E-mail address: <username>@students.latrobe.edu.au
- Username: <username>@students.ltu.edu.au (or <username> if specifying the Domain separately)
- Domain: STUDENTS (or students.ltu.edu.au)
- IMAP Server: outlook.office365.com
- IMAP Port: 993
- IMAP Encryption: TLS
- SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
- SMTP Port: 587
- SMTP Encryption method: STARTTLS
Note: The POP protocol has been disabled and cannot be used to configure your student email account.
Frequently Asked Questions
I can't access my emails. What should I do?
Make sure that you are entering your username in the correct format when logging in (e.g <your student ID>@students.ltu.edu.au). If you're experiencing issues with your password, try resetting your password or if issues persist, contact Student IT Support.
Why aren't I receiving emails?
It is important to remember there is a difference between your La Trobe username and email address. Your email address will be your sending address and must also be used when emails are sent to you. If emails are sent to your La Trobe username, they will not make it through to your mailbox.
Your student email address will be formatted '<your student ID>@students.latrobe.edu.au'.
Your student username will be formatted '<your student ID>@students.ltu.edu.au' and is only required when you're signing into your account.
If you find that you're not receiving emails that you are sure are being sent to you, double check that the emails are being sent to your email address and not your username by mistake.
I can't find an email that was sent to me. What should I do?
To search for a specific email, use Outlook Web (OWA) search function. To do this, navigate to Outlook Web. Search keywords in the top search bar and select the 'All folders' option. This will conduct a search of your entire mailbox for emails, attachments and contacts that contain the keyword(s) you're searching.