Turnitin (Text Matching Software)
Turnitin is a web-based text-matching software system which can be used to assist in helping you learn how to properly acknowledge quotations. Using Turnitin is part of La Trobe’s educational approach to minimise plagiarism and ensure standards of academic honesty in assessable work.
You can submit files in the following format to Turnitin:
- MS Word (.doc and .docx)
- WordPerfect (.wpd)
- Portable Document Format (text based) (.pdf)
- HTML (.htm)
- Rich Text (.rtf) and Plain Text (.txt)
Warning: Apple Pages (.pages) documents are unsupported. Whilst you may not receive an error when submitting a Pages document to Turnitin, you will not receive a Similarity Score.
Viewing your Turnitin submissions
You can view your submissions to Turnitin by navigating back to the submission pages in the LMS. Alternatively, you can login to your Turnitin account directly.
- Navigate to the Turnitin login page.
- If you haven't logged into Turnitin before you will need to reset the password. This is because your Turnitin account is separate from your La Trobe student account. You can reset the password using your student email address (email@example.com) and family name. Please note the password reset email can take up to 15 minutes to arrive in your student email inbox.
- After resetting your password, you can login to Turnitin using your student email address and new password.
- (OPTIONAL) Update your Turnitin account email address after logging in by clicking 'User info' in the Toolbar. This is recommended after finishing at La Trobe because it will allow you to reset your Turnitin account password if you forget it.
Additional information & Resources
The official Turnitin website can provide you with a plethora of information about how Turntin works. Here are some links to some articles which might prove helpful to you: