What is Turnitin?
Turnitin is a web-based text-matching software system which can be used to assist in helping you learn how to properly acknowledge quotations. Using Turnitin is part of La Trobe’s educational approach to minimise plagiarism and ensure standards of academic honesty in assessable work.
Accepted File Types
You can submit files in the following format to Turnitin:
- MS Word (.doc and .docx)
- WordPerfect (.wpd)
- Portable Document Format (text based) (.pdf)
- HTML (.htm)
- Rich Text (.rtf) and Plain Text (.txt)
Warning: Apple Pages (.pages) documents are unsupported. Whilst you may not receive an error when submitting a Pages document to Turnitin, you will not receive a Similarity Score.
Viewing your Turnitin submissions
You can view your submissions to Turnitin by accessing your assessments tasks through the LMS. Alternatively, you can login to your Turnitin account directly.
Please note you will not be able to login to Turnitin directly unless you have submitted at least one assignment on the LMS.
Steps to log into Turnitin directly
- Navigate to the Turnitin login page.
- If you haven't logged into Turnitin before you will need to reset the password. This is because your Turnitin account is separate from your La Trobe student account. You can reset the password using your student email address (eg. email@example.com) and family name. Please note the password reset email can take up to 15 minutes to arrive in your student email inbox.
- After resetting your password, you can login to Turnitin using your student email address and new password.
Please note it is recommended before graduating La Trobe to update your Turnitin account email address so you can still access this after your La Trobe account closes. You can do this by logging into Turnitin, clicking 'User info' in the Toolbar and updating the email address.