Library Learning Hub
Library Learning Hub is the place for every student, at every level, on every campus to develop and extend your academic, information and digital literacy skills. We offer support to transition, undergraduate, coursework post-graduate and research higher degree students, on every campus and online.
We offer help with assessments from finding information, academic writing and referencing as well as study skills like time management. Access to experts include, Academic skills and language advisors, Librarians, subject tutors for specific discipline hubs and Peer Learning Advisors (PLA’s).
Workshops for writing assignments, overcoming procrastination, referencing and more
Book an appointment with an Academic Skills advisor or Librarian
Access online and in-person PLA drop-in support
For staff: Refer a student to an Academic Skills and Language Advisor
Learning Hub workshops
How2Uni and Spotlights on Success workshops
Our How2Uni workshops run during semesters 1 and 2.
These workshops provide great tips and strategies for studying online, time management, writing assignments, referencing, overcoming procrastination and preparing for exams.
Spotlights on Success workshops
Spotlights on Success workshops run towards the end of semesters 1 and 2.
These 30-minute workshops offer strategies for the final sprint to the assessment finishing line.
The sessions cover motivation, exam readiness, managing time, referencing, stress and procrastination, writing, grammar, punctuation and more.
In-subject Study Skills and English Language workshops
Some subjects offer workshops to develop skills for assignments. Your lecturer will tell you about any study skills, writing or English language workshops available in your subject.
One Step Ahead (preparing for uni program)
Our One Step Ahead program runs before the start of semester and introduces essential skills for successful university study, including understanding assessment tasks and academic writing.
Check the Library calendar for sessions before the start of each semester.
For Subject Coordinators and Lecturers
We offer workshops to develop students’ skills for assessment tasks.
Email the Learning Hub to discuss embedded workshops at your campus. If you would like to request a targeted workshop, please give us three weeks' notice prior to the proposed workshop date.
Learning Hub services
Maths, Science and Coding Hubs
In addition to the PLA service, The Learning Hub has expert staff available to help you develop your academic writing, study skills and academic English language skills. Book an appointment here
The Maths Hub provides mathematics and statistics online resources and Zoom support from expert tutors. Find out more about the Maths Hub
The Science Hub supports students with science subjects through online resources and expert tutors. Find out more about the Science Hub
The Coding Hub has expert tutors available to develop your skills in Python, Java, C/C++ and Database. Find out more about the Coding Hub
Help from a Librarian in The Learning Hub
The Library supports students with finding relevant resources for assignments/research and referencing.
Check your campus library's opening times
Get in touch with the Library via chat, phone or email.
We support postgraduate students by offering a range of additional services, depending on whether you are a Postgraduate Coursework or Higher Degree Research (HDR) student.
For Higher Degree Research (HDR) students:
- The Research Education Development team (RED) runs workshops to support your research and other activities to help you during your candidature, including Shut Up and Write sessions, the Three Minute Thesis competition and the Visualise your Thesis competition.
- The Learning Hub LMS Graduate Writing page offers great strategies and tips for beginning your research, critical reading and thesis writing.
- The Learning Hub also offers one-to-one consultations for guidance with your writing.
Referencing and citation
Universities are very careful about acknowledging where information and ideas come from. This means you need to reference other people’s ideas in your work. Different study areas have specific ways of referencing, which requires practice and takes time to master. Become more proficient and confident by getting the referencing help you need.
Do you have the skills you need to achieve at uni? Browse the Achieve@Uni online learning resources to find out what you need to know, learn great tips, and get linked to more help.
Achieve@Uni includes information on:
- Study skills
- Finding information
- Academic English
- Academic integrity
The new Assessments section of Achieve@Uni includes sample writing from real La Trobe students to guide you as you complete your assignments.
Studiosity Online Writing Feedback and Study Support
- Studiosity gives you feedback and strategies to help you develop your writing and study skills.
- Connect Live chat offers general and first-year level advice on language, study skills, stats, accounting, and economics after hours.
- Writing feedback will generally be returned within 24 hours. You can then amend and improve your work before you hand it in. So don’t leave it to the last minute!
- Studiosity writing tutors will not edit or rewrite your written work, advise on content or tell you how to answer the question. They will comment to identify where you can improve your grammar, spelling, structure and clarity of your writing.
- You can use Studiosity up to five times a semester.
One-to-one LANTITE support from the Learning Hub
LANTITE is the national Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students. For assistance with LANTITE, contact email@example.com (literacy and numeracy) or visit The Maths Hub (numeracy).
Contact the Learning Hub
- Drop in via Zoom to see our Peer Learning Advisors (PLAs)
- Contact the Learning Hub by email at LearningHub@latrobe.edu.au
- Get Library support via chat, phone or email
- Academic and professional staff can refer students using this form
The Learning Hub Online
Check out The Learning Hub Online, a single place in the LMS to find eLearning tools across La Trobe University. You can access self-paced learning activities when it suits you and from wherever you are. The Learning Hub Online brings together resources like Achieve@Uni, Studiosity and LinkedInLearning videos, along with specially designed resources.
Log in to the Learning Hub Online LMS
The Learning Hub helps you develop these skills for successful study
- planning, drafting and editing your assignments
- using your research in your writing
- quoting, paraphrasing, referencing.
- time management
- presentation skills
- exam preparation.
- developing your English vocabulary and grammar
- developing your speaking and writing in English
- improve your comprehension.
- using online learning systems
- advanced database searching
- software to study: including Excel, Word, NVivo, Endnote, Mendeley, SPSS.
- finding relevant resources for research assessments
- Maths and Statistics support for:
- Agricultural Science
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Biomechanics, Sports and Exercise Science
- Business and Finance
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Psychology Statistics
- Statistics and Probability
- subject-based maths help (see the timetable on the Maths Hub LMS)