Tips and resources for parents and carers
We know this is a trying time for parents and carers, juggling even more responsibilities including working and studying from home, with home schooling added to mix. There is an overwhelming amount of articles and news items out there, here are just a few key tips and resources to help you take care of yourself, additionally find details for our Parents and Carers meet-up group below:
Be kind to yourself
Realise some days/moments will be better than others but hang in there. Draw on your resilience and strength from past endeavors. There is no such thing as the perfect parent and way of parenting.
Reset and even lower your expectations of what you can realistically achieve
You are now juggling more responsibilities and constant interruptions from family members, so may need to reset your expectations of yourself and others. Yours kids learning won’t suffer from being out of school for a few months and while you will do your best, you were not trained to be a teacher. Set smaller but ongoing goals for study, breaking it down into realistic chunks of time and give yourself a pat on the back whatever you manage to achieve. You may need to drop a subject or reset your expectations around grade outcomes.
Let go of perfectionism
There is no just thing as the perfect parent, student or individual. In current circumstances, work at what you can realistically achieve and don’t give up.
Find ways to connect with others who are in the same boat
Sometimes just sharing the pain and some laughs with others in the same situation can help. They often can share useful tips and resources for coping.
Let go of the mess around you and don’t worry about what others think
With so many people in a confined space each day every day, expect that things will get messy and this is no time to be keeping up with the Jones!! So, what if your child mucks up and embarrasses you in a zoom meeting or presentation. Just accept and let go of the worry.You are doing an amazing juggle and recognise it.
Parents and Carers Meetup Group
Join the Parents & Carers Meetup Group - a support network for student parents and carers where you can share some strategies, resources and tips for coping. The sessions will be facilitated by peer mentors who are also parents and can relate to what you are going through, who can also help you navigate resources and services available to support you:
- Week 3 – Thursday 6 August (7:00-8:00PM)
- Mid-sem break – Saturday 5 September (10:00 -11:00AM)
- Week 9 – Wednesday 23 September (7:00 – 8:00PM)
More supports and resources
- Peer Learning Advisers - Students who provide advice and support in planning and writing assignments, referencing, presenting and time management.
- Learning Hub Services - Specialist and peer support in a range of areas including Academic English, Writing Skills, Maths, Science, Library & Digital Literacy.
- Library – ‘We’re here to help’ services available during COVID-19.
- Student FAQ’s During COVID-19 -These student FAQ’s are regularly updated with key information, but also check your LMS site for subject updates.
- Special Consideration during COVID-19 - A guide to scenarios and documentation that will be acceptable during COVID-19.
- Student Health and Wellbeing - New ‘Check In Service’ available and how to connect with other services and access wellbeing resources during COVID-19.
- La Trobe Sport -Active Kids Videos - La Trobe Sport have just released a series of kids videos to keep your kids occupied during COVID-19.
- Financial Support - For a list of financial support explore our comprehensive financial support page.
- External Support - A comprehensive list of external support ranging from 24hr crisis support to emergency food and housing.
If you know of any great resources we may have missed or would like to provide any feedback, let us know! Email Rose at email@example.com