Student financial support
- If you're an international student in need of emergency funds, please contact La Trobe International Student Services for assistance.
- If you're a domestic student, you may be eligible to apply for a crisis payment through Services Australia.
- Interest free loans, available to assist with the cost of study including books, equipment, computer software and hardware, university based research and course placement.
- A guarantor is required for loan applications greater than $800. Up to $4000 may be borrowed with a guarantor (subject to application approval).
- A due date and monthly repayment schedule will be set as part of the approval process and written into the loan contract.
- Financial support of up to $4000 (subject to approval) is available to students facing extreme financial hardship. The situation must be unusual, uncommon or abnormal.
- A referee report (or reference letter) of support by an independent source or authority is required.
Who can apply?
You can apply for student financial support if you:
- are enrolled at La Trobe University;
- need the financial support to be able to keep studying;
- can show that you can repay the student financial support (if required); and
- do not have other obligations (e.g. student visa) that will not allow you to take the student financial support.
How do I apply?
To apply for emergency aid, a student loan, or a grant, complete the relevant application form:
- proof of identity (student card, driver's licence, learner's permit);
- proof of ongoing income (Centrelink documents, pay slips or scholarship documents);
- evidence of the cost of the items you will be using the loan for;
- your bank account details (hard copy) i.e. BSB and account numbers; and
- your guarantor's details and proof of identity.
Lodge your completed application form and attached documentation via ASK a Question.
Applications will be considered in accordance with policy and procedures of La Trobe University.
Student financial support repayment
We will give you a due date and monthly repayment schedule as part of the student loan approval process. Repayments where required can be made using:
- money order
- credit card
For alternate options of viewing, reading or obtaining the above information, documents and forms, please contact the Student Financial Services Office.