Support for low income and disadvantaged students

We acknowledge that many students may experience financial difficulties at some time. There are a range of services and supports that may assist you if you are experiencing financial hardship.

For information on special entry schemes and ways to get a place at University go to Pathways to La Trobe.

COVID19 financial support

Visit our specific COVID19 financial support page.

Financial counselling

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may benefit from seeing a financial counsellor.

You can access free financial counselling via La Trobe's Financial counselling service.

Emergency Aid Application

Emergency Aid is a one-off payment of AUD$250 to support students in crisis for one-off unexpected emergencies that will have a negative effect on a student’s wellbeing.

To be eligible you need to:

  • Have a current enrolment at La Trobe University.
  • Be studying and located in Australia.
  • Not have had an Emergency Aid payment in the current calendar year.
  • Not have any La Trobe financial sanctions (you can check this on StudentOnLine). *You may be eligible to apply again once your sanctions are cleared.

Emergency Aid applications will be processed up to 1 (one) business day after the application is received.

If successful, it will be paid directly into your nominated bank account. Ensure that you have added your bank details in StudentOnLine.

Community and Government services

Infoxchange - Search for Community Services in your area

DSS Grants Service Directory - Search for Emergency Relief and other government-supported services in your area

The Department of Human Services has a Bond Loan Scheme you can use to pay your rental bond.

The Victorian Government Housing Website has information and resources that may assist you in finding housing or staying in your current home. This website also has information about applying for public housing or community housing.

If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your utility bills you may benefit from the Utility Relief Grant.

You may be eligible for a Victorian Public Transport Concession Card. You will receive your public transport tertiary concession card application form in your La Trobe Student email within 24 hours of you meeting all of the eligibility criteria.

  • Check you are enrolled on a full time basis (at least 0.375 EFTSL per semester) via StudentOnLine. If you have submitted a variation to enrolment form you may not meet the public transport concession card eligibility criteria until this form is processed (i.e. the subject appears as enrolled on StudentOnLine)
  • Check your application for your student ID card has been approved. You will receive a photo approval email when your photo has been processed and your card is printed (this is different to the upload confirmation email you will receive - please visit Getting your student ID card). Your public transport concession card application form cannot be prepared until your student ID card is approved.

You may be eligible for a Health Care Card, even if you are not entitled to other Centrelink benefits. Health Care Cards may provide a range of benefits, including discounts on some utility bills.

Student Start-Up Loans are available through Centrelink for full-time students who are studying an approved course and receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY.

If you are regional student and experiencing financial difficulties in getting student travel passes to get to and from University, Travellers Aid may able to assist you. For application and more details please read VLine Travel Assistance.