To help you adjust to university study and life in Australia, we recommend that you try some of the following suggestions to help you settle in:
- Attend Orientation. You will gain important information and have the opportunity to make new friends.
Participate in programs and activities offered by La Trobe International such as the Language and Cultural Exchange program.
- Join student organisations or clubs and societies. There are a number of student associations on campus that help international students meet other students and adjust to living overseas. These associations organise regular events, trips and activities and are open to receiving student members from other countries. Their aim is to maintain a close and engaging community at the University.
- Check out La Trobe Sport - it is a great way to keep fit and healthy as well as make new friends. La Trobe Sport has many recreational, competitive, and instructional clubs.
- Read about Australian culture to understand what to expect while you study in Australia. It is especially helpful to talk to people of your own nationality, who have studied in Australia before.
- Discuss any concerns you have with friends and family, particularly those who have also travelled overseas. If you don't know anyone here to talk to, visit International Student Services.
- Engage in the local community events and activities. This is a great way to enhance your experience in Melbourne, develop new skills and widen your circle of friends.
- Explore spirituality or keep practicing your religion while studying at La Trobe. Religious facilities on campus include Chaplaincy and Muslim prayer facilities, and other Multifaith Spiritual Wellbeing services. All campuses provide Muslim prayer facilities. The Melbourne Campus has separate prayer rooms, ablution facilities for men and women and congregational prayers are conducted on Friday lunchtimes.
- Visit places in Victoria and enjoy various events, international films, arts, regular music performances, art exhibitions, opera, theatre programs and community festivals. Melbourne is also the home of many major sporting events. Check out local tourism information below: