ems5cre creo parametrics
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
Students will use Creo Parametrics as a software tool to design, develop and enhance parts and assemblies. Through project-based learning, students will create and enhance parts and assemblies for product design. This will involve production of 2D and 3D drawings in accordance with international standards and FEA (Finite Element Analysis) of structural and thermal performance. Particular attention will be placed on FEA examination of flow characteristics of plastics for mold analysis and fatigue analysis under cyclic loading. Students will design for additive manufacturing and conduct material analysis for optimum design. Upon conclusion of the subject, students will have a design portfolio and solid foundation in material optimization for design, additive manufacturing and design optimization through simulation analysis.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorJim Whittington
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Must be admitted in one of the following courses: SMENC, SMENCB, SMENE, SMENEB, SMENM or SMENMB and have passed EMS5CAT
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Apply appropriate engineering drawing terminology and conventions to communicate effectively with expert and non-expert audiences.
- Terminology is introduced through the online learning modules and is reinforced and practiced in the tutorials and laboratory classes. Students are required to demonstrate competency in correct use of terminology in written answers to questions and practical applications.
02. Create comprehensive 2D and 3D engineering CAD drawings that comply with current industry standards and practices by the application of advanced design prinicples.
- The principles of design and utilization of the subject specific software, as a design tool, are introduced in the online learning modules and reinforced and practiced during tutorials and the laboratory sessions. Students are required to demonstrate competency in the application of these principles, through written assessment, laboratory tasks and problem solving.
03. Conduct detailed analysis of design models and produce accurate engineering drawings for parts and assemblies through skilled use of appropriate software tools.
- Through project based learning, students will be using the subject specific software as a tool to produce accurate drawings, parts and assemblies, and conduct detailed analysis of final designs. This will be assessed through the laboratory tasks and assessments.
04. Apply established and innovative engineering methods to improve product design, through detailed analysis and optimization of design criteria, and product models.
- Principles and techniques for design optimization are introduced in the online learning modules and demonstrated in the tutorials. These are then practiced in the laboratory sessions whereby students apply the techniques to their designs in or optimize the final products. This is assessed through laboratory tasks and their major project and design portfolio.
Select to view your study options…