ADVANCED PYTHON PROGRAMMING
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject introduces the Python programming language and its advanced features in Data Sciences and Artificial Intelligence. Students will establish an understanding of fundamental and advanced topics in Python language. They will gain experience on program design and implementation of algorithms to solve real-world problems. Topics covered include control structures, built-in and complex data types, basic and advanced data structures, modular program structure, iteration and recursion, file input and output, iterative and generative, object-oriented programming, exception handling, Python for data science, Python for machine learning and Python packages. One or more applications associated with each topic will be discussed. Students will learn and implement advanced Python concepts and packages.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorNasser Sabar
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites CSE4OOF or equivalent
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||A Python Book: Beginning Python, Advanced Python, and Python Exercises||Recommended||Dave Kuhlman, 2011||Amazon|
|Readings||Pro Python||Recommended||Marty Alchin, 2010||Amazon|
|Readings||Python Cookbook||Recommended||Alex Martelli, Anna Ravenscroft, David Ascher, 2013||O'Reilly Media|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Develop and critically evaluate programs based on Python syntax.
- Lectures 1 and 2 focus on basic concepts of syntax and control structures in programming. Apply basic concepts principles to writing programs. Evaluating errors and the corrective measures to resolve those errors.
02. Program utilizing data structures, object-oriented programming concepts and classes.
- Lectures 3 and 4 focus on advanced data structures and object-oriented programming concepts. Students develop solutions in lab, assignments and the exam.
03. Design and write code that makes uses of built in and complex datatypes, basic and advanced data structures, modular program structure, iteration and recursion.
- Lectures 5 and 6 focus on how write programming code that uses an advanced concept. Students develop solutions in lab, assignments and the exam.
04. Investigate and critically analyse different Python packages for data manipulation and make recommendations for an effective data process.
- Lectures 7, 8 and 9 focus on how use advanced Python packages. Students develop solutions in lab, assignments and the exam
05. Develop solutions to simple and complex computing problems under specific requirements.
- Lectures 10 and 11 focus on how to effectively construct, implement, test and document computer programs using Python. Students develop solutions in lab, assignments and the exam.
Select to view your study options…