SPECIALISED TOPICS IN CHEMISTRY
Credit points: 15
Specialised topics in chemistry provides a series of specialised modules across a broad range of topics in chemistry. The flexible choice of modules enables students to tailor the subject to their interests and professional goals. Students undertake two core modules in inorganic chemistry and spectroscopy (physical chemistry), and also select two additional modules from a range of topics, including medicinal chemistry, heterocyclic chemistry, sensors and electrochemistry, surface chemistry, and polymer chemistry. The subject will enable students to develop an advanced perspective of theory and applications across the disciplines of chemistry.
SchoolSchool of Molecular Sciences/LIMS
Subject Co-ordinatorConor Hogan
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Prerequisites CHE2FCA and CHE2FCB and one of (CHE2MOC or CHE2NAC); OR Must be admitted in SMCHS
Incompatible subjects CHE3ADB, CHE3MCD
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Inorganic chemistry||Prescribed||Housecroft, CH and Sharp AG 2012 or other edition||PEARSON|
|Readings||Physical chemistry||Prescribed||Atkins, PW & de Paula, J, 2014 or other edition||OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS|
|Readings||Organic chemistry||Recommended||McMurry, J., 2016 or other edition||THOMSON-BROOKS/COLE|
|Readings||Quantitative chemical analysis||Prescribed||Harris, DC, 2015 or other edition||FREEMAN|
|Readings||Intermolecular and surface forces||Prescribed||Jacob Israelachvili, 2010||Academic Press|
|Readings||Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry||Recommended||Patrick, G., 2013 or other edition||Oxford University Press|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate thorough understanding of "Key Principles of Chemistry" as defined by the Royal Australian Chemical Institute.
- During lectures students will answer short questions individually or as part of small groups, reinforcing lecture material. In tutorials and in their own time students will apply these concepts to solve a variety of problems, some of which are assessed via quizzes or assignments and others which are provided as optional problem sets for exam preparation.
02. Apply relevant mathematical, graphical and computational methods to acquire, manipulate, interpret and critically analyse chemical data, summarise results using appropriate significant figures and units.
- Student calculations are undertaken as part of topic assignments.
03. Write coherent descriptions of chemical reactions and chemical characterizations with well supported interpretations using correctly referenced professional prose.
- Topic assignments: students submit topic assignments throughout the semester that are marked against a rubric for professional prose and accurate description of information including references where appropriate. Assignments returned and annotated with helpful comments to aid improvement.
04. Solve abstract, routine and complex real-world problems of chemical relevance by independently sourcing and analysing trustworthy scientific information.
- In tutorial problem classes and assignments students must apply chemical concepts to solve a variety of problems and draw from appropriate chemical data sources to do so.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2019, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorConor Hogan
Four 1.0 hours lecture/workshop per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
"All students attend 2 core topics and choose 2 additional topics from the 4 electives offered."
One 1.0 hours tutorial per week on weekdays from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
|2 x 2 hour Examinations (3000 word equiv)||A 2 hour paper on core topics, and 2 hour paper on elective topics. A hurdle requirement of 50% applies to the exam component.||60||01, 02, 04|
|Topic Assignments (1500 word equiv)||Assignments are completed during semester. They are associated with the lecture topics and designed to help students master concepts and solve chemistry problems.||40||01, 02, 03, 04|