INTERMEDIATE NETWORK ENGINEERING
Credit points: 15
In this subject students will examine: IPng Protocol and its features; Routing protocols like RIPv1/v2, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, and their performance under different operating environments; Transmission Control Protocol and flow control algorithms; UDP protocol and its uses.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorPrakash Veeraraghavan
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites CSE5NEF OR Admission in one of the following courses: SMICT, SMCSC or SMTNE.
Incompatible subjects CSE3INE AND Students in the following courses are not permitted to enrol: SBCS, SBIT, SBCSGT, SVCSE, SZCSC, SBITP and SBBIY.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Data and Computer Communications||Prescribed||Stallings, W||PRENTICE-HALL|
|Readings||IP routing protocols: RIP, OSPF, BGP, PNNI, and Cisco routing protocols||Prescribed||Uyless Black||PRENTICE-HALL|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Design and evaluate IPng addressing scheme and subnetting, including VLSM
- Lecture from Week 2 till Week 4 focus in detail on the design and evaluation of IPng addressing scheme according to the network specification.Students will demonstrate their understanding during the hands-on lab sessions.
02. Implement distance vector and link state routing protocols.
- Lectures and labs from Week 5 and 6 deals with a detailed study and implementation of distance vector and link state routing protocols.
03. Evaluate the performance distance vector and link state routing protocols.
- Teaching week 6 till 7 involves the strengths and weaknesses, various costs involved in their implementation of the routing protocols studied during Week 5 and 6. Labs will involve hands-on expericnce on implementing these protocols through Cisco gears.
04. Implement multiprotocol network.
- Labs during Week 7 and 8 focus on implementing multiple routing protocols for a complex large scale network.
05. Design and implement topologies using emerging technologies
- Through case studies, identify emerging technologies, through tutorials on how to design complex networks, subjected to financial, technical and administrative constraints. The designed network must also meet certain performance metrics.
06. Describe broadly the scope of the TCP and UDP Protocols
- Lecture between Week 8 and 10 focus on the scope of TCP and UDP Protocols.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2017, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPrakash Veeraraghavan
Two 1.0 hours lecture per week from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours laboratory class per week from week 11 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|2.5 hour written final semester Exam||50||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06|
|1 hour Lab Exam||.||25||01, 02, 03, 04|
|1 hour Mid-Semester Problem solving test||25||01|