PROFESSIONAL PRACTICUM A
Credit points: 15
In this subject you will complete 160 hours of professional placement within an approved health organisation. These hours will go towards the requirements for obtaining Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) status from Exercise and Sports Science Australia. Your professional skills, along with patient communication, assessment and clinical exercise prescripion skills will be developed under direct supervision from appropriately qualified and experienced clinicians working in a range of healthcare settings. Instruction and information on workplace health and safety will also be a key element to undertaking successful professional placement.
SchoolLa Trobe Rural Health School
Subject Co-ordinatorBrett Gordon
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Must have passed two of subjects from (EXS4ACD, EXS4AND, EXS4AMD).
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Formulate effective communication (verbal and non-verbal) plans for relaying information to patients, medical and allied health professionals.
- Professional placements will provide opportunities to engage in communication with patients and health professionals.
02. Prepare, explain and evaluate clinical exercise interventions for individuals with pathology consistent with those listed in the AEP Scope of Practice.
- Professional placement will provide an opportunity to prescribe, lead and monitor exercise interventions.
03. Critically interpret and defend risk factors, indicators and contra-indicators (red and green flags), and manage emergency situations.
- The ability to maintain a safe workplace, and manage clinical and workplace scenarios, will be developed through a pre-practicum workshop, with the first four days conducted on the practicum site and the final day conducted at La Trobe University. Professional placement will provide an opportunity to practise and perfect identifying, and acting upon, risk factors and indicators for exercise.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2015, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorBrett Gordon
Placement - Off Site
One 25.0 days placement - off site per study period on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Practicum A will be completed in one of three, 5-week blocks (Victorian Health Placement blocks 2, 3 or 4)."
One 1.0 hours lecture/seminar other recurrence on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"1 x 2 hour face to face pre-practicum briefing and preparation lecture required in wk 10. 1 x 2 hour face to face post-practicum debriefing and assessment feedback session."
|One 30-minute online competency test.||20||03|
|One clinical performance assessment (equivalent to 2,500 words).||40||02, 01, 03|
|Online reflective journal (2,500 words).||40||01, 02, 03|