cse5ine intermediate network engineeri
INTERMEDIATE NETWORK ENGINEERING
Credit points: 15
In this unit students will examine: Local area networking standards with emphasis on CSMA/CD techniques and IEEE 802 series of standards, introduction to the MAN ISDN/Frame Relay based networks, ATM networks. IP Subnetting and VLSM, Routing protocols like RIPv1/v2, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, and their performance under different operating environments.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorPrakash Veeraraghavan
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites CSE2NEF or CSE5NEF AND Enrolment in one of the following courses: SMIT, SMITCN, SMICT, SMCSC, SMBBS, SGBBS, SGCS, SGIT, or SMTNE.
Incompatible subjects CSE3INE AND Students in the following courses are not permitted to enrol: SBCS, SBIT, SBCSGT, SVCSE, SZCSC, SBITP and SBBIY.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Data and Computer Communications||Prescribed||Stallings, W||PRENTICE-HALL|
|Readings||IP routing protocols: RIP, OSPF, BGP, PNNI, and Cisco routing protocols||Prescribed||Uyless Black||PRENTICE-HALL|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Design and implement complex network and analyse various performance issues in the lab
- Teaching weeks 8 till 12 introduce the students to the theoretical knowledge needed for the design of small, medium and large networks. Tutorials during these weeks will deal with the performance analysis and various fine-turning methods for the network. During the lab sessions, students will implement and test their models.
02. Devise the correct Variable Length IP subnet scheme to implement the topology designed in ILO-1
- Teaching week 1 till 3 introduce the students on IP subnetting schemes, in particular to the Variable subnetting schemes. Tutorials will deal with implementing subnetting schemes for a given network. However, students will learn how to design a network only in Week7. Students will demonstate their understanding during the hands-on lab sessions.
03. Demonstrate the understanding of various routing protocols and choose the right one that gives the best performance for the network designed in ILO-1
- Teaching week 4 till 7 introduce the students to various IP routing protocols, their strengths and weaknesses, various costs involved in their implementation. Tutorials and Labs will involve hands-on expericnce on implementing these protocols through Cisco gears.
04. Design a complex campus network subjected to various financial, technical and administrative constraints and meeting certain performance metrics
- Week 10,11,12, extra tutorials will be organized for CSE5INE students to create a complex campus network subjected to financial, technical and administrative constraints. The designed network must also meet certain performance metrics.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2015, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPrakash Veeraraghavan
Two 1.0 hours tutorial per week and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours lecture per week and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours laboratory class per week and delivered via face-to-face.
|Final Semester Exam (2 hour)||50||01, 02, 03, 04|
|Lab Exam (1 hour)||Hurdle requirement: In order to pass the unit, students must obtain an overall pass grade, pass the examination and pass the overall non-examination components.||25||01, 02, 03, 04|
|Mid-term Problem solving test (1 hour)||25||02|