External queer supports
Melbourne is very queer-friendly and there is a lot of support you can access outside the university too. For groups and services in Victoria outside of Melbourne, search the Rainbow Network website.
External Queer Supports in Melbourne
- Equinox is a peer-led health and well being service for the transgender and gender diverse community located in Fitzroy. They use an informed consent model, and will use your preferred name and pronouns whilst treating you with respect. Their services include GP healthcare, sexual health, hormone initiation and management, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and counselling.
- Northside Clinic is a GP practice located in Fitzroy North that provides medical care in a safe and queer-friendly environment to the LGBTIQA+ community.
- Prahran Market Clinicis a GP practice located in Prahran that provides medical care in a safe and queer-friendly environment to the LGBTIQA+ community.
- Centre Clinicis a GP practice located in St Kilda that provides medical care in a safe and queer-friendly environment to the LGBTIQA+ community.
- Pronto! provides free, confidential STI and rapid HIV testing for gay men and men who have sex with men, and is located in Fitzroy.
- Melbourne Sexual Health Centre provides queer-friendly STI testing and is located in Carlton.
- Drummond St Queerspace provides free or low cost counselling to individuals, couples, parents and families, as well as groups and social activities for LGBTIQA+ people.
- The Mind Equality Centre provides individual, couples and family counselling, and psychologists identify as members of the LGBTIQA+ community.
- Thorne Harbour Health (previously Victorian Aids Council) provides free or low cost counselling and support groups (including groups for queerphobia, alcohol, and drug use) for LGBTIQA+ people. Thorne harbour also runs Equinox, Centre Clinic and Pronto! (mentioned above), and provides care and support for people living with HIV.
- QHealth is a counselling service for people who would like to talk about the concerns or impacts of their alcohol or other drug use in a confidential, nonjudgmental and queer-affirmative space. All counsellors are LGBTIQA+ identifying.
- Northern Centre Against Sexual Assault (NCASA) provides free therapeutic services to people over the age of 12 years who have experienced sexual assault (past or recent) and their non-offending family members and friends. NCASA also has a counsellor based at the La Trobe Counselling Service in Bundoora one day per week.
- QLife is a national LGBTIQA+ helpline and webchat service staffed by peers (3pm to 12am).
- Emergency numbers are generally available 24 hours if you need to speak to someone.
Support Groups and Services
- Minus18 is Australia’s youth-driven network for LGBTIQA+ young people. They also have many helpful articles and tips for coming out.
- YGender is a peer led social support and advocacy group for transgender and gender diverse young people. They have also created some excellent Trans 101 resources.
- Marhaba is a social and support group for LGBTIQA+ people from Muslim backgrounds wanting to socialise, discuss and reconcile their religion and sexuality.
- Working OUT is a free specialist employment service for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse or intersex identified people with a disability or mental health condition that may be a barrier to employment.
- Rainbow Network has a comprehensive database that you can search for other queer services and support groups all around Victoria.