ele5ads advanced digital systems
ADVANCED DIGITAL SYSTEMS
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject builds on previous studies in Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA)hardware design. Commencing with an overview of today's FPGA technology,devices and tools for the design and implementation of complex,state-of-the-art, high speed, complete system solutions on a hardware programmable device. Practical lectures will be supported by hands-on exercises which gradually increase in complexity, to allow students to build an understanding of design environments, processes, what is feasible, and what is not feasible in various design situations. From this, the key challenges in implementing sophisticated high speed digital systems will be demonstrated and appropriate design methodologies developed to meet these challenges. Important topics covered include: design planning, design for synthesis, efficient hardware design,effective use of simulation, fixed point versus floating point implementation, trade-offs between serial and parallel architecture, IP design, use and re-use,clocks and synchronous design, use of high speed ADCs and DACs, asynchronous interfacing, timing closure, and in-system debug.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorDarrell Elton
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Students must be admitted in one of the following courses: SMENC, SMENCB, SMENE, SMENEB, SMENM or SMENMB
|Author and Year
|Designing with Xilinx FPGAs
|Churiwala, S. 2017
|Advanced FPGA design - Architecture, Implementation and Operation
|Kilts, S. 2007
|Digital Signal Processing with Field Programmable Gate Arrays (Signals and Communication Technology) 4th ed
|Meyer-Baese, U. 2014
|FPGA Design: Best Practices for Team-based Reuse 2nd ed.
|Simpson, P. 2015
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Apply models, techniques and tools to investigate design options, determine appropriate approaches to practical digital systems design.
- Discussed in lectures, reinforced in laboratory work and applied in assignment and project work.
02. Identify, articulate and apply current developments, in the application of complex digital systems in FPGA technology.
- This is a recurring theme in the lectures as different aspects of advanced digital systems design are discussed. This is reinforced in laboratory work and students are expected to comment on the appropriateness and performance of their designs in written assignment and project reports.
03. Demonstrate the application of advanced digital systems knowledge and skills in a creative and innovative way so as to design, implement, and test a complex digital system satisfying a set of predefined requirements
- Conducted in workshops and applied in assignment and project work.
04. Design a complex digital system using FPGA hardware.
- Discussed in lectures and applied in assignment and project work.
05. Demonstrate the effective use of advanced hardware features of modern FPGAs.
- Applied in assignment and project work.
Select to view your study options…