If you withdraw from a subject before the subject census date you may apply to have any fees you have paid refunded to you.
How do I apply for a refund?
Domestic students, complete the online Domestic Fee refund application form.
Your application will be processed within 15 working days. This does guarantee your refund will appear in 15 working days.
|Please note: If your bank details are not up to date in StudentOnLine it will delay the processing of your application.|
How do I apply for a Remission of debt?
If you are a domestic Commonwealth Supported HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP student or an International student, you may be eligible to apply for a remission of debt because of special circumstances if you:
- withdraw after the subject census date
- were unable to finish or withdraw from a course.
If you are an active La Trobe student, complete the online Remission of debt application form.
Your application will be processed and you'll receive an outcome within 28 working days. We will only contact you before the 28 days if we need further information from you. Please note that missing supporting documentation may delay the application process.
What are special circumstances?
Special circumstances are medical, personal, family, employment or course related issues. You will need documents to prove your circumstances - see examples below.
Special circumstances are not:
- lack of knowledge of HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or university procedures and rules
- being unable to repay a HELP debt.
Examples of supporting documentation include:
- La Trobe Medical Impact Statement
- a medical certificate will not suffice and your application will be delayed if additional documentation needs to be provided
- Copy of death certificate
- Carer’s certificate
- Hospital admission/discharge summary
- Letter from psychologist or counsellor
- Letter from employer or notice of unexpected cessation of employment
- Police or incident report
- Statutory declaration
- Supporting letter from Subject Coordinator(s)
Policy and procedures
For alternate options of viewing, reading or obtaining the above information, documents and forms, please ask a question online and our staff will assist you.