If you withdraw from a subject before the subject census date you may apply to have any fees you have paid refunded to you.
How do I apply?
Domestic students, complete the online Domestic Fee refund application form.
Remissions of debt
If you are a domestic Commonwealth Supported HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP student, you may be eligible to apply for a remission of debt because of special circumstances if you:
- withdraw after the subject census date
- were unable to finish or withdraw from a course.
Complete the online Remission of debt application form.
Special circumstances are medical, personal, family, employment or course related issues. You will need documents to prove your circumstances - see examples below.
Special circumstances are not:
- lack of knowledge of HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or university procedures and rules
- being unable to repay a HELP debt.
Examples of supporting documentation include:
- La Trobe Medical Impact Statement
- a medical certificate will not suffice and your application will be delayed if additional documentation needs to be provided
- Copy of death certificate
- Carer’s certificate
- Hospital admission/discharge summary
- Letter from psychologist or counsellor
- Letter from employer or notice of unexpected cessation of employment
- Police or incident report
- Statutory declaration
- Supporting letter from Subject Coordinator(s)
Policy and procedures
For alternate options of viewing, reading or obtaining the above information, documents and forms, please ask a question online and our staff will assist you.