Refunds and Remission of debt


If you withdraw from a subject before the subject census date you may apply to have any fees you have paid refunded to you.

How do I apply for a refund?

Complete the correct form

Important information about bank details and processing your application

Firstly, you must update your bank account details in StudentOnLine before submitting this form. If your bank details are not up to date, it will delay the processing of your application.

Please make sure that you provide the correct BSB number (6 digits) and the correct account number. Credit card numbers are not accepted as account numbers. If you can't access StudentOnLine to update your bank account details, please contact ASK La Trobe.

Once submitted, your application will be processed within 15 working days. This does not guarantee your refund will appear in that time. Please note: during peak periods processing may take up to 8 weeks.

Remission of debt

How do I apply for a remission of debt?

If you are a domestic Commonwealth Supported HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP student or an International student, you may be eligible to apply for a remission of debt because of special circumstances if you:

  • withdrew after the subject census date
  • were unable to finish or withdraw from a course

Check your eligibility to apply for a remission of debt

If you are eligible to apply, you'll receive an outcome within 28 working days after you submit your application and all required supporting documentation. Please note that missing supporting documentation will delay the application process.

If you need assistance with your Remission of Debt application or accessing the application form, please ASK a question online and our staff will assist you.

Supporting your refund or remission of debt application

What are special circumstances?

Special circumstances are medical, personal, family, employment or course related issues. You will need supporting documents to prove your circumstances.

Special circumstances are not:

  • lack of knowledge of HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or university procedures and rules
  • being unable to repay a HELP debt.

Supporting documentation

Examples of supporting documentation include:

  • La Trobe Medical Impact Statement
    • a medical certificate will not suffice and your application will be delayed if additional documentation needs to be provided
  • Copy of death certificate
  • Carer’s certificate
  • Hospital admission/discharge summary
  • Letter from psychologist or counsellor
  • Letter from employer or notice of unexpected cessation of employment
  • Police or incident report
  • Statutory declaration
  • Supporting letter from Subject Coordinator(s)

Policy and procedures