International Student Travel Pass

International and New Zealand undergraduate students can purchase an International Student Travel pass (IST Pass) by using an IST code for either 90 days, 180 days, or 365 days at 50% of the full fare price of the travel pass for the zone/s in which they study.

As a La Trobe international or New Zealand undergraduate student studying at the Melbourne or Bendigo campuses, you may be eligible to purchase below passes for use:


Zone 1-15 (state-wide) or Zone 2 only pass


Zone 1-15 (state-wide) or Zone 13 only pass

This includes discounted travel on trains, buses and trams (if available) within your purchased zone and lasts for the duration of the pass from the day you first activate your Myki card.

You are eligible for an IST Pass if you are an international or New Zealand student enrolled in and currently studying one of the following Australian qualifications on a full-time basis on campus at La Trobe University:

  • Diploma; Advanced diploma; Associate degree; or Bachelor degree (including Bachelor degree Honours)
  • Have a valid La Trobe Student Identification (ID) card
  • Are enrolled on campus

Apply now

Cost saving

An IST Pass reduces the cost of a full fare annual pass by 50% (conditions apply). The IST Pass allows you to save money and travel as much as you want throughout the day.

Upfront payment is required when purchasing the IST Pass.

Information about fare pricing is available on the Public Transport Victoria website.

For more information about the IST Pass program, visit the IST Pass website.

International Student Travel Pass FAQs

Does the program include V/Line travel?

Yes. A Zone 1+15 IST Pass will allow travel on trams, trains, and buses all throughout Victoria, including V/Line services.

Do I need to purchase the pass at the beginning of the year?

No. Eligible students can apply to purchase the International Student Travel Pass at any time. Once purchased, the International Student Travel Pass is valid from the date the student first ‘touches on’ to the Myki system, for either 90-days, 180-days or 365-days, depending on the pass type purchased.

I have applied for my IST Pass code online, when will I receive it?

Once your application is received, your eligibility for the IST Pass will be assessed. If you are eligible for the IST Pass, you can expect a unique IST pass redemption code within 5 business days.

I have received my redemption code, what do I do next?

Please note that your redemption code is intended for you only and must not be shared with any other individual/student.

  1. Go to the IST Pass online application website
  2. Sign up for a student account via the Student Register ‘Register’ button
  3. Follow the application steps
  4. Enter your unique IST Pass code
  5. Select your pass duration (90-day, 180-day or 365-day) at the point of purchase

Upon completion and payment, your IST Pass card will be sent by PTV to your postal address, which can take up to 3 weeks.

When will I receive my pass?

Once you have redeemed your code, and received confirmation of purchase, PTV will process you card. Please allow 3 weeks for your card to reach your postal address.

Given that it takes 3 weeks to receive my card, does this mean I lose time off my pass?

No. Once purchased, the IST Pass is valid for either 90-days, 180‑days or 365‑days, depending on the pass type purchased, from the date it is first ‘touched on’ to the Myki system.

Can international exchange students, students with refugee status or student recipients of the Australian Awards Scholarship apply for an IST Pass?

International exchange students, students with refugee status and students who receive an Australian Awards scholarship (formerly known as the Australian Development scholarship) already receive discounted concession travel. This program does not apply to those students.

There are currently free trams zones in the CBD. I study in the City Campus, what do I need to know?

Free CBD tram travel allows customers to travel within the Free Tram Zone at no cost.

Travel inside the Free Tram Zone does not require a myki or International Student Travel Pass.

Customers travelling outside the Free Tram Zone are required to touch on as normal. Penalties apply if travelling outside the Free Tram Zone without a valid ticket and no leniency is shown to customers travelling (even one stop) outside the Free Tram Zone without a valid Myki or International Student Travel Pass.

Why are postgraduate students ineligible for the IST Pass?

Students must be enrolled in and currently studying full-time in an undergraduate course (bachelor’s degree or Associate Degree) or a higher VET course (Advanced Diploma or Diploma). Postgraduate students are therefore ineligible.

The policy framework for the program aligns with the concessions available to domestic students within Victoria and there is no travel concession for postgraduate students currently.

I no longer need an IST Pass, can I get a refund?

You will need to request a refund from La Trobe University by emailing a photo of your Myki card to

La Trobe University will send your refund order information to PTV to process. Please note that once the refund request is processed by PTV, your Myki card will be deactivated.