Guide to Preference Entry Mode
During preference mode, you have the opportunity to indicate your preferred classes.
Preference mode is not first-in, first-served: so long as you enter your preferences during the advertised period, you'll have as much chance of being allocated to your preferred classes as anybody else.
If you do not submit your preferences during Preference Mode, you will need to allocate yourself to your classes during the Allocation Adjustment period (see more information about Allocation Adjustment).
How does Preference Entry mode work (or why didn't I get my first preference)?
During Preference Entry mode, students are given the opportunity to indicate their preferred classes.
Allocate+ is then closed while the system sorts preferences and allocates students to classes that will generate the best possible clash-free timetable.
While your preferences will be taken into account, there is no guarantee that you will get your first preferences.
For example, if 70 students choose a particular class as their first preference, but there are only 25 places, the system will select 25 students at random and allocate them to this class. The other 45 students will be allocated to lower preference classes if possible.
If you select only very popular classes, you might be unlucky and not be allocated to any of them.
Popularity of classes
If Allocate+ indicates how popular each class is via the percentage figure beside the 'Preference' dropdown box.
For example, if the class on Wednesday at 12 pm is 100% subscribed: the number of people who have listed this as their first preference is the same as the number of available places.
If the class at 1 pm on Thursday is even more popular: it is 173% subscribed. If you select this class as your first preference, you stand a significant chance of missing out.
If, on the other hand, you chose one of the less popular classes - either of the two Friday classes, for example - you are very likely to be allocated to this class.
Remember, these numbers will continue to increase throughout the Preference mode period as more people enter their preferences.
How do I enter preferences?
Go to Allocate+. Log in using your La Trobe University username and password.
After logging in, you will see a list of your enrolled subjects and their associated activities. Timetable components such as lectures, tutorials and labs are called 'activities'.
You will only be able to select preferences for subjects in which you have enrolled and which are taught on-campus.
If you make any changes to your enrolment in StudentOnline you will need to wait one hour for these changes to show in Allocate Plus. You can view the timetable for subjects that you are not enrolled in by using the search function.
You may have been pre-allocated to some of your activities: these will be flagged with a green icon. You will be automatically pre-allocated to classes where there is only one option. Your School may also have pre-allocated you to some activities. Ensure that you read any subject messages carefully.
You will need to select preferences for all 'Unconfirmed' subjects, which will be flagged with a red icon.
- Select the activity (e.g. LC1) for which you wish to enter preferences.
- To enter your preferences, select the 'Preference' drop-down box and choose a number (1 for first preference, and so on). The number of preferences you need to enter will be indicated.
- Click the 'Save' button. A message will appear confirming your preferences have been saved. Once you have submitted a preference, the flag will change to orange, and will stay as Pending until the Preference period closes. You can change your preferences for orange (pending) activities until the system is closed for sorting.
- Repeat this process for each Unconfirmed (red) activity in each of your enrolled subjects.
After sorting, the system will reopen for 'first-in-first-served' Allocation Adjustment mode. Opening and closing dates can be found via the Important timetable dates page.
You will not generally need to allocate to online classes, unless there is a face-to-face component (often an introductory lecture).
If you do not need to allocate to an online activity, this will be indicated with the text 'No group available'.
Why are some of my subjects 'Off'?
If a subject is 'off', you will not be able to submit preferences.
Reasons why a subject will be turned off include:
- Allocate+ may not be open yet for you to enter your preferences. Refresh and check back a bit later - remember, Preference Entry mode is NOT first-in-first-served so there is no time dependency
- Allocations to the subject are being managed by the school or department. Student allocations for 2nd and 3rd year Nursing students and for Allied Health students based in clinical schools are managed by the schools.
- The subject is not running this semester (e.g. Semester 2 subjects will be visible in Semester 1, but shown as 'Off').
Please Note: Preference entry mode will not be offered for non-standard teaching periods. Subjects running in non-standard teaching periods will open directly in Allocation Adjustment mode instead.
Please see the Census dates page for more information on standard and non-standard teaching periods.
Need more help?
If you need more help or technical support, please visit ASK La Trobe or call 1300 LA TROBE (1300 528 762).