Industry Placement Minor
Apply the knowledge and skills from your course in a professional work setting, gain valuable work experience, and build your professional network. Designed with flexibility in mind, choose from completing one major placement in a single semester; or undertake multiple placements over two or more semesters.
The Industry Placement minor is recommended if you:
- want to explore different career options or complete placements for two different majors (e.g., marketing and finance)
- want to focus more time on gaining work experience
- do not have access to a placement subject for their discipline.
The Industry Placement minor comprises:
- 4 subjects - LTU2PP1, LTU2PP2, LTU3PP3 and LTU3PP4, a total of 60 credit points
- a minimum of 400 hours (50 days) of placement.
Within the Minor, you can complete 1 - 4 placements, however, it is probably simplest to complete either 1 x 400 hour placement or 2 x 200 hour placements.
The Industry Placement minor requires you to self-source your placement(s) and the placement must be approved by your Subject Coordinator before census date, or you will need to withdraw your enrolment. If you have difficulty finding a placement, email our team.
The Industry Placement team have tools and resources to help you identify suitable organisations and guide you through the process. Occasionally we offer placement opportunities which are made available to you throughout the year.
If you are enrolled in the Minor you also have the opportunity to undertake a virtual industry placement through Practera. This is a 100-hour virtual placement available in LTU2PP1 only. You can only complete one virtual placement in your Industry Placement Minor. Practera is an organisation whch partners with La Trobe to deliver highly engaging, group-based, virtual work placements.
If you have any queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subjects offered, all campuses
|Teaching period||Semester dates||Placement application deadline|
|Term 2 2022||28 February - 8 April 2022||14 February 2022|
|Term 3 2022||2 May - 10 June 2022||18 April 2022|
|Term 4 2022||18 July - 26 August 2022||5 July 2022|
|Term 5 2022||5 September - 14 October 2022||23 August 2022|
|Term 6 2022||31 October - 11 December 2022||17 October 2022|
For information regarding subject objectives, requirements, and study options, please refer to the La Trobe University handbook:
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible to enrol if you meet these requirements:
- have space in your study plan for a minor or 60 credit points of elective subjects
- have completed 120 credit points of subjects before commencing the minor, i.e. equivalent to 1st year of your degree.
If you hold a Student Visa, the placements in this minor will contribute to your maximum allowed work hours per fortnight.
Other requirements include:
- placement activities must constitute a genuine work integrated learning opportunity
- you must have a dedicated workplace supervisor.
Register your interest for an Industry Placement Minor
Register your interest by sending your contact and study details to email@example.com. We will add you to our mailing list and keep you updated with key dates of information sessions, tips for sourcing placements, application closing dates, etc. We will also send you details of the limited number of placements that we (the University) have sourced ourselves and that you may wish to apply for.