Information for parents

The transition to university is exciting and challenging, and can also be a stressful time for parents and students alike.

Your child accepting their place at La Trobe University is only the first step. From enrolling in subjects to their first days on campus, you will be able to support them through the transition into university with a little information from us.

What you need to know

For most undergraduate courses the typical academic year is made up of two semesters - usually February to May for Semester 1, then exams, a mid-year break, then Semester 2 will usually run between July and October, followed by exams, then end of year holidays. For more information see key dates, or the Academic calendar.

Census dates occur early in each semester (usually March for Semester 1, and August for Semester 2) and are the deadline for all students to finalise their enrolment and fee arrangements. If your child needs to add or drop subjects, change from full time to part time study, or take leave from their course they need to do this before the semester census date. After census date the student's enrolment is final, and they are academically and financially liable for their subjects.

Once your child has accepted their place to study with us, they will need to enrol into subjects for the full academic year.

You can help your child by:

The fee calculator will help you find out the cost of your child's course.

If your child is an Australian citizen, holds a Permanent Humanitarian Visa, or a New Zealand SCV holder they can pay in one of two ways:

  • pay their fees upfront in full
  • get a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan and repay their student contribution through the tax system later.

Payments can be made via:

  • BPAY
  • Australia Post Billpay
  • our online student system StudentOnLine, or
  • cheque.

Note that no La Trobe campuses accept cash payments.

Your child will also have to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

We understand that as a parent you must be assured that the accommodation your child lives in is both safe and comfortable.

Accommodation staff are available 24-7 to provide help or support as needed. Each residence also has a residential education coordinator who will advise your child about social events, health and wellbeing, community engagement, student leadership, and academic and general support.

You can help your child apply for on-campus accommodation by reading through the on-campus accommodation application information with them.

You can also look over some of our accommodation services FAQs:

ASK La Trobe is a student's key source of information and assistance with student administration e.g. enrolment, fees, forms, student ID cards, graduation etc.

Note that under privacy legislation our staff can only discuss personal information directly with the student and cannot disclose personal information to a third-party without consent (including details about fees, enrolment, student records etc).

Answers to a range of common questions can be found in our Current Student FAQs (frequently asked questions).

Contact options for ASK La Trobe can be found on the ASK La Trobe website.

Contact ASK La Trobe

Orientation gives new students their first opportunity to experience the La Trobe community. They will meet other students and staff, explore the campus and soak up all the essential information needed to hit the ground running.

Make sure you and your child read through the Orientation webpage for detailed information and participation dates.

Your child has access to a range of support services throughout their time with us at La Trobe.

Support services include:

You can find the full list of support services on the Support webpage.

The University works to ensure the safety and support of all its students and has in place several policies and codes of conduct for any individuals interacting with or enrolled at the University who are under the age of 18

At the same time, the University offers an adult environment and treats all students as mature, independent individuals who are responsible for their own learning and for abiding by the University’s policies and procedures.

Parents and guardians of students under 18 years of age should be aware that:

  • Classes and seminars are sometimes held outside normal business hours, and some learning activities can be held off-campus.
  • Adult content may be included in course material.
  • Alcohol is available for purchase at campus bars/some events. It is illegal for persons under 18 years of age to consume alcohol.

Personal and academic information of all students, including an underage student, is private. The University can only release certain information if both the parent/legal guardian and student sign a proxy form.

Under 18 international students

This is only applicable for student visa holders.

International students who are under 18 years of age must live with a student guardian approved by Department of Home Affairs until they turn 18 years of age. The student guardian is responsible for the under 18 international student’s care and wellbeing.

La Trobe University does not permit alternative welfare arrangements for international students under 18, for example, homestays.

Under 18 international students are required to meet with an International Student Advisor on a regular basis until they turn 18. These meetings are compulsory and are helpful for underage students in transitioning to university and life in Australia, safety and wellbeing, community involvement, and academic culture.

For any questions about these requirements, please contact ASK La Trobe.

Support services for students include

Please also ensure emergency contact and next of kin details are supplied to the University via StudentOnLine.

Related information