Help for academic misconduct

Why have you been sent a letter to see an Academic Integrity Adviser (AIA)?

If your lecturer sees something in your work that could be academic misconduct they will refer it to an Academic Integrity Adviser. The AIA will investigate to determine if it is academic misconduct. You may be invited to attend an interview to discuss the case.

If there is no academic misconduct, you will be advised to either resubmit the assessment or re-sit the test, as the case requires. The AIA might direct you to some resources or to get some advice

If there is academic misconduct, the AIA will set a penalty which could involve reduced marks or failing the task, depending on the degree of misconduct.

Why have you been sent a letter to attend a hearing with the College Academic Misconduct Committee (CAMC)?

If the AIA determines that the academic misconduct could be serious, you will be referred to the College Academic Misconduct Committee (CAMC). You will be asked to attend a hearing with the CAMC. The decision about penalties is based on evidence presented during this hearing. Serious academic misconduct is taken seriously and can even lead to expulsion from the University

Your Rights

If you are asked to attend a hearing with the AIA, or the College Academic Misconduct Committee (CAMC), you are allowed to bring along an advocate to act as a witness. This person cannot be a legal practitioner or hold a law degree.

You have the right to appeal the decision of the AIA, or the College Academic Misconduct Committee (CAMC), if you feel the decision was made in error, or if you feel the penalty was too severe.

Access support on campus

Get some advice on how to proceed:

  • La Trobe Student Association Student Advocacy Service
    • The Student Advocates on each campus can provide advice and help on preparing a submission for appeal or complaint. Student Advocates can also attend hearings with students. All enrolled La Trobe University students are entitled to receive discreet, personal and private support from a Student Advocate with the following services:
      • helping students to understand their situation and discuss available options;
      • helping student to understand University Policy and Procedures; and
      • helping students to prepare written submissions/letters.
    • These services are at no cost to students - for advice and appointments at your campus contact:
      • Contact a student advocate
      • Melbourne (Bundoora) - 03 9479 6503 / email
      • Regional - 03 5444 7354 / email
  • International students are advised to seek help from the Student Advocate on your campus but can contact International Student Services for additional support
  • See our table of all services that can help you

Prepare your case

  • Collect any documents that you think might help you in the hearing
  • Make sure you understand all of the University's policies and procedures regarding academic integrity
  • If you wish, organise to have a witness as your advocate in your hearing

Possible Responses and Penalties

Responses to poor scholarship and academic misconduct include:

  • educational corrective action
  • academic counselling
  • reprimands
  • requests to resubmit work
  • reduced marks
  • zero for work, examination or subject
  • suspension
  • exclusion

To find out more please refer to Penalties for Academic Misconduct.