Education course transfers
Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course transfers
New government entry requirements for teachers:
From 2018, The State Government of Victoria requires all students who wish to enrol in accredited ITE courses to complete a personal attributes test as part of application for admission.
Students wishing to enrol in the following La Trobe University accredited teacher education courses will need to complete a CASPer test (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) as part of application for admission:
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary/li>
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of teaching (Secondary)
- Bachelor of Technology Education
- Bachelor of Early Childhood & Primary Education
If you require further information about CASPer please view CASPer FAQs.
Procedure - Domestic Students
- Domestic students: Complete the Domestic Application for Course Transfer form [PDF]. If you are transferring into the Bachelor of Education (Primary) or (Secondary) include your proposed major and/or sub major under section C.
- Schedule and pay for your online CASPer test: takecasper.com/
The CASPer test is administered by a third party and will cost $80 (non-refundable). Applicants who:
- sit and pay for CASPer and;
- are successful with their transfer request and;
- are enrolled* into their new transferred ITE course after the March 2018 Census date, will be provided with a refund voucher, to the value of the CASPer registration fee (i.e. $80).
Please note that if you do not complete the CASPer test, your request for transfer cannot be considered. Course transfers are based on several criteria, including academic requirements (outlined below), CASPer and available places in the course. Completing CASPer does not guarantee entry.
- Complete the online CASPer test at your scheduled time.
* When prompted select “applying to UG direct to school” or “applying to PG direct to school”. You will then be asked to input your La Trobe Student ID.
- After a processing period, your CASPer results will be submitted directly to La Trobe University. You must list La Trobe University on your CASPer distribution list.
Procedure - International Students
- International Students: Complete the International Application for Course Transfer [PDF].
- Download the International Application for Course Transfer form signed and stamped by the La Trobe International Office.
- Submit your signed and stamped form to ASK La Trobe.
Note: International students will not need to sit a CASPer test for 2018 entry.
Academic criteria for consideration
All ITE degrees require:
- a minimum course Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 50
- Year 11 Maths or equivalent (excluding Foundation Maths) for Bachelor of Education (Primary), Bachelor of Education (Secondary) or Bachelor of Early Childhood & Primary Education transfer applicants
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academic module with an average band score of 7.5 across all four skill areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing - where there is no score below 7 in any of the four skills areas and a score of no less than 8 in speaking and listening ON ENTRY (international students)
Additional requirements for students transferring into the Master of Teaching (Primary):
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or approved equivalent in a relevant discipline area/s for Primary Teaching as per National Program Standards and the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Discipne specialisations are: English, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics), Mathematics, Science, Physical Education/Health, Technology Studies, Art/Drama/Music/Dance, Humanities.
Additional requirements for students transferring into the Master of Teaching (Secondary):
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or approved equivalent in one or two discipline areas for Secondary Teaching as per National Program Standards and the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Discipline specialisation are: English, Drama, Health, Humanities (including History, Geography, Economics, Languages, Mathematics, Media, Outdoor and Environmental Education, Science (including Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Physical Education, Psychology, Technology, TESOL, Visual Arts.
Students transferring from the Bachelor of Educational Studies into an ITE program:
- successful completion of the first year of the Bachelor of Education Studies degree (120 credits points)
- a course WAM of 50
*students taking a deferment or leave of absence will not be eligible for the refund voucher.