Education course transfers
From 2018, The State Government of Victoria has required all students who wish to enrol in accredited ITE courses to complete a personal attributes test as part of the application for admission. This is known as a CASPer test.
Government entry requirements for teachers
Students wishing to enrol in the following La Trobe University accredited teacher education courses will need to complete a CASPer test (Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) as part of the application for admission:
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary)
If you require further information about CASPer please view CASPer FAQs.
Please note that if you do not complete the CASPer test, your request for transfer cannot be considered. Course transfers are based on several criteria, including academic requirements (outlined below), CASPer and available places in the course. Completing CASPer does not guarantee entry.
- Complete the appropriate Course Transfer application form (domestic or international). If you are transferring into the Bachelor of Education (Primary) or (Secondary) include your proposed major and/or sub-major.
- Schedule and pay for your online CASPer test: takecasper.com/. The CASPer test is administered by a third party and will cost $80 (non-refundable).
- Please make sure you register for the test at least three days before your preferred test date to allow for account verification and payment processing timelines. Last minute bookings are not recommended.
- Complete the online CASPer test at your scheduled time. Select 'applying to UG direct to school' or 'applying to PG direct to school' and enter your La Trobe Student ID.
- After processing, your CASPer results will be submitted directly to La Trobe University. You must list La Trobe University on your CASPer distribution list.
All ITE degrees require:
- a minimum course Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60
- Year 11 Maths or equivalent (excluding Foundation Maths) for Bachelor of Education (Primary), Bachelor of Education (Secondary) or Bachelor of Early Childhood & Primary Education transfer applicants
- for international students, an IELTS (Academic) score of 7.5 with no individual band score less than 7.0 and a score of no less than 8.0 in Speaking and Listening (or please see our English Language Requirements page for alternatives).
Transferring from the Associate Degree of Teacher Education or Bachelor of Educational Studies into a Bachelor of Education:
- Applicants must have successfully completed the first year of the Associate Degree of Teacher Education and Bachelor of Educational Studies degree (120 credits points) including 6 core first-year subjects (EDU1LLI or EDU1001, EDU1CAD or EDU1002, EDU1CDL or EDU1003, EDU1ISE or EDU1004, EDU1LNU or EDU1007, EDU1DLC or EDU1008) with a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60+.
Transferring into the Master of Teaching (Primary):
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or approved equivalent in a relevant discipline area/s for Primary Teaching as per National Program Standards and the Victorian Institute of Teaching:
- Discipline specialisations are: English, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics), Mathematics, Science, Physical Education/Health, Technology Studies, Art/Drama/Music/Dance, Humanities.
Transferring into the Master of Teaching (Secondary):
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree or approved equivalent in one or two discipline areas for Secondary Teaching as per National Program Standards and the Victorian Institute of Teaching:
- Discipline specialisations are: English, Drama, Health, Humanities (including History, Geography, Economics, Languages, Mathematics, Media, Outdoor and Environmental Education, Science (including Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Physical Education, Psychology, Technology, TESOL, Visual Arts.