New Colombo Plan (NCP) Scholarship
The New Colombo Plan (NCP) Scholarship awards up to $67,000 to Australian undergraduate students for study and work experience opportunities across multiple locations in the Indo-Pacific region from 3 months up to 19 months. La Trobe University nominates ten students every year to be considered for this scholarship by the Australian Government.
Please note, the 2022 round is currently closed. Applications for the 2023 round will open in semester one, 2022.
To qualify you must:
- be an Australian citizen aged between 18 and 30 years as of 1 January 2022
- not undertake the Scholarship in a Host Location in which you have dual citizenship or residency rights; or in which you have previously been a citizen or permanent resident
- be undertaking a Bachelor’s or Bachelor Honours Degree, at the commencement of the Scholarship Program
- have a minimum WAM score of 70 per cent across all studies at La Trobe
- be able to demonstrate community service and/or leadership experience.
- attend an information event or listen to a recorded session
- confirm your eligibility and familiarise yourself with the NCP Scholarship guidelines
- submit an expression of interest
- commit to the rigorous application process – including nomination, written component, LTU mock interview and Canberra interview stages
- apply for LTU student exchange program in the following year, either semester 1 or 2
- obtain ASSC or SHE college credit approval to go on exchange to an eligible host country
- purchase and undergo a National Police Record Check
- commit to participate in the scholarship program if successful.
How to apply
Attend or listen to the recording of one of the following two information sessions:
- NCP Scholarship program information sessions - March or May
- EOI closes - End of May
- LTU shortlisting applications - June to July
- Nominated and unsuccessful students notified - June to July
- NCP University nominations - June to July
- NCP Student written applications - July to August
- NCP Aust Gov applications shortlisted and applicants notified - September
- LTU Mock interviews - September
- NCP Interviews in Canberra - September to October
- NCP All applicants notified of outcome - October
- Pre-departure training in Canberra - November
- Scholars commence scholarship - Following year.
- 2021 NCP Scholarship program guidelines [PDF 622KB]
- DFAT's New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program
- Advice to applicants [PDF 552KB]
For further queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current & Past NCP Scholars
Meet our current NCP Scholars and read what our previous NCP recipients have to say about the program:
- 2021: Meet La Trobe's record-breaking New Colombo Plan Scholars
- 2020: Samuel Chung
- 2019: Ashley Eadon (pictured above at a wedding in India)
- 2019: Stephanie Hilton, Ashley Eadon, Courtney Taylor and Jade Bujeya
- 2018: Zoe Croucher and Emeil Boddenberg
- 2017: Rebecca Thorburn (Singapore) and Sidney Mason (India)
- 2015: Jake Schatz
- 2014: Kara Menzies and Richard Garrett
Watch the video below detailing Richard, Kara and Jake's unique experiences as NCP Scholars: