Request an appointment

We provide free and confidential short-term and specialist counselling to currently enrolled La Trobe University students. You can choose to participate in counselling in person or remotely via telephone or Zoom.

What happens when you book an appointment?

All new clients and clients returning after 6 months will first need to speak with our Duty Worker, a trained Counsellor. When you fill in the request an appointment form, the Duty Worker will first contact you to arrange for a 10-15 minute Triage phone call within a few days. During Triage your needs and support/counselling options will be discussed. Your counselling appointment will be booked from there.

Duty Workers are unable to provide supporting documents during this initial session.

If you have had a counselling session within the last 6 months you can submit a request for an appointment via online request form, by calling us on 9479 2956 or email

Demand for counselling appointments can be high, and after your call with the Duty Worker you may be placed on a waiting list for an appointment.

Have a look at our information page on what to do while waiting for your counselling appointment.

Wondering what you can do while you wait for an appointment?

Read more

Privacy and Confidentiality

Counselling is a confidential process that is built on trust. The only time that confidentiality is waived is where there is a risk of harm to you or another, or we are required by law to disclose information.

Privacy Statement: La Trobe University respects the privacy of your personal information. We collect personal information about you to register and identify you with our counselling and wellbeing services. If you do not complete this form, then we may not be able to provide you with counselling services. The counselling service maintains confidential records of counselling sessions to keep track of and facilitate your counselling and progress. Access, collection and storage of your personal information by the University is in accordance with the Health Records Act 2001. We treat the information we receive from you with confidentiality and respect and will only disclose your information to third parties outside the University with your consent or where it is required or authorized by law. You may have the right to access the personal information we hold about you subject to any exemptions in relevant laws, by contacting us on

If you are not satisfied with our service, please contact us. We take complaints seriously and aim to resolve them quickly and fairly. If you remain dissatisfied with our response, you may contact the Health Complaints Commissioner (HCC). The HCC responds to complaints about health services and the handling of health information in Victoria. Their service is free, confidential and impartial. To lodge a complaint with the HCC: Fill out the complaint form online at or phone 1300 582 113 between 9.00am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday to discuss your complaint.

Read more on student information and privacy.