Trans, non-binary and gender diverse support

We celebrate and support sexual and gender diversity across our University.

This guide is designed to be flexible in recognition of the individual nature of each person’s gender affirmation. The staff or student member affirming their gender, their manager, teachers and/or their colleagues. They all play important roles in the person’s gender affirmation process. The guide provides information specific to each of these important groups and the role they play in supporting someone’s gender affirmation process.

Please note that some of the information in this guide around student name changes on university records and on LMS and student cards are currently being updated. Please see below for updated information in the meantime.

Changing gender or name on university records

To change your name or gender markers on the La Trobe Student Record complete the Amendment to personal details form in StudentOnLine (under the 'Forms' tab), and attach your supporting document (see below).

The Australian Government recognises the following documents as sufficient evidence of your sex or gender change (you only need to provide one of the documents listed below):

  • a statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or a Registered Psychologist
  • a certified copy of a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a passport, which specifies your identified gender
  • a certified copy of an amended state or territory birth certificate that specifies your identified gender, or a state or territory Gender Recognition Certificate / recognised details certificate showing that the registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages has accepted the change.

We understand that some of your documents may show conflicting information for safety or privacy reasons (for example, reducing risk when travelling to some overseas countries). Remember to consider the consequences of discrepancies as you change your name and gender (for example, it will be important that Centrelink, the Australian Tax Office and the University’s records match so that there are no issues with your payments or being able to defer HECS or FEE-HELP loans).

Using a chosen/preferred name for gender identity-related reasons

Students can have a chosen/preferred name displayed on the LMS at any time by adding a preferred name to the StudentOnLine system, this does not require a legal name change or supporting documents. The LMS does not currently record gender identity information or pronouns.

Students are also able to request a preferred/chosen name be printed on their student ID Card for gender identity-related reasons without requiring supporting documents or a legal name change. Send an email to and the team will arrange this for you.

Please note that where you need an official La Trobe student ID card for exam purposes or other official university transactions, and your ID card has a different name to what is on your official university record, you should bring other formal ID such as a driver’s licence or passport to be able to confirm your identity.

Meeting other gender diverse people

You can meet other trans and gender diverse people at the Bundoora campus through our Finding Pride program and the Student Union Queer Department, or at Rainbow Eagles in Bendigo.

Gender-neutral toilets

Gender-neutral toilets are available on our campuses. View a toilet location map for:

Additional support

  • If you need to talk to someone about medical transition or you’re looking for a trans-friendly doctor, Equinox is an entirely trans and gender-diverse health service in Fitzroy.
  • The Victorian gender diverse young people at YGender have put together some excellent Trans 101 resources and videos, and you can link in with them to meet other gender diverse young people.
  • Transgender Victoria provides advocacy and information for gender diverse people.
  • Multi-disciplinary clinics have been established in Preston with Your Community Health, and Ballarat with Ballarat Community Health, to support individuals looking to socially, medically or legally affirm their gender.