Police, and Working With Children Check

Police Check

Police checks are mandatory for all students completing a health placement. A police check may also be required if you are undertaking an education placement, or Work Integrated Learning (WIL) subject, depending on your placement provider. Your Placements Team will be able to tell you whether or not this is needed.

You can apply for your police check either through fit2work or an other Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) accredited police checking service, or through the Australian Federal Police for a national police check:

For more information on police checks, please refer to the Police Check procedure for placements in the health sector [PDF 159KB], Police Check Guidelines [PDF 124KB] and Police Check FAQs [PDF 61KB].

Please note that a Victorian police check is valid for placement in Victoria only. If you are completing your placement(s) in another state, you will need to provide a check that is valid for use in that state. Your Placement Officer can provide more information on this if needed.

Working with Children Check

Any person who is doing child-related work is required by law to hold a valid Working with Children Check (WWCC) at all times. If you are completing a health or education placement, you must obtain a WWCC and provide a scanned photocopy of your card before you can attend any placement. If you are completing a WIL subject, it is important to ask your organisation contact or supervisor whether you will need to provide a WWCC before starting.

Applications for a WWCC can be completed by following the WWCC Application Procedure [PDF 133KB] and are free for students to complete.

For more information on WWCC’s, please refer to the Working with Children Check FAQs [PDF 146KB] and the Working with Children Check Guidelines [PDF 184KB].

It’s important to remember that the WWCC is a Victorian check only, so if you complete a placement in another state you made need to obtain the equivalent check in that state.

Once you have obtained both of your checks, you will need to upload them to InPlace for the Placements Team to check  (La Trobe login required).

Log in to InPlace