After you finish your course, you may decide to stay in Australia for further study, holidays, attend your graduation ceremony, or for work.

Depending on your choice, you might need to apply for a different kind of visa. Please be aware that international students are not automatically invited to apply for permanent residence in Australia. If you wish to apply for Australian Permanent Residency, you need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to explore your options.

Important: Your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is only valid for the duration of your student visa. If you no longer hold a student visa, you will need to change to an Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) or Medicare.

Visa expiry date

Important: Make sure you remember your student visa expiry date as there are severe penalties for overstaying. If you have overstayed your student visa, please contact the Department of Home Affairs immediately.

The length of your current student visa depends on the length of the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), for more information please refer to student visa grant period information.

Early completion

If you applied for Advanced Standing, changed your course to a shorter one, or applied for Alternative Exit and you completed your course before the original end date of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), you will no longer be compliant with the student visa condition 8202 which requires the visa holder to remain enrolled in a registered course, among other requirements. More information on Completing Course Early.

Please note: If you have condition 8534 or 8535 No Further Stay on your student visa, you will NOT be able to remain in Australia after that visa expires, except in very limited circumstances. Contact Department of Home Affairs for more information.

Further study

If you apply for a new course at La Trobe University or any other institution, you must accept your offer first. Once you received your new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE), you will have to apply for another student visa before your current visa expires. Make sure you allow enough time to submit your application and undertake any medical examination, x-rays and/or English Language tests (if required).

Attending a graduation ceremony

If your student visa will end before the next available graduation ceremony and you wish to stay in Australia to attend the ceremony, you can apply for a visitor visa. Visitor visa options.

To submit your application, you will need to order a Course Completion Letter after your official final results have been released and the Student Information System shows that you have qualified for your degree.

Please note: La Trobe University cannot confirm in a letter that you will be attending the graduation ceremony, it will only confirm that you have Completed your course. If you are planning on inviting people from overseas to attend your graduation, please ask them to confirm with the Department of Home Affairs what documents will be required to submit an application.

Taking a holiday

After you've finished your studies, you might choose to spend some time travelling around Australia before you return home. If your student visa is due to expire before you plan to finish travelling, you should apply for a visitor visa (see 'Attending a Graduation Ceremony' above).

Post Study Work arrangements

If you are looking to stay in Australia to work after completing your course, you can apply to one of the two post study visa options. Please note: Visitor visas do not include work rights.

More information

Department of Home Affairs
T: 131 881 (general enquiry)

Need a register migration agent?

Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre