Reasons and documentation
Special Consideration is one of several possible adjustments to assessments available at La Trobe University. It is specifically intended to support students who experience serious short-term, adverse, and unforeseen circumstances that substantially affect their ability to complete an assessment task to the best of their potential.
Supporting documentation must be provided and must be official and verifiable.
Documentation must indicate the date of the adverse event and the duration/dates of impact.
Documents in languages other than English must be translated by a NAATI-accredited translator or a La Trobe University staff member.
Examples of acceptable grounds for special consideration and documentation include:
Required supporting documentation
Serious illness or injury
|Serious illness or injury – students registered with |
Accessibility and Inclusion
As always, where there are special circumstances these will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you are having difficulties around placements, contact your placements office in the first instance who will be able to assist you.
If you are having difficulties with your studies or don’t think that you can submit your assessment task by the due date, chat to your subject coordinator in the first instance. They are here to help you and understand that this is a challenging time for us all.
The University's FAQs on the COVID-19 situation are updated regularly, please visit the FAQ webpage for the latest information.
Foreseeable circumstances are not handled via special consideration. For example:
- known medical circumstances such as pregnancy (unless there are complications), elective surgery, long-term medical conditions
- armed services duty
- jury duty/court appearance
- emergency services employee or volunteer duty
- religious or cultural obligations
- artistic or sporting commitments
- exam clash with an exam at another institution
- disability or ongoing medical conditions. If you are registered with AccessAbility and Inclusion for support due to an ongoing condition, any adjustments will be managed via your Learning Access Plan. However, you may apply for Special Consideration where an exacerbation of your condition affects your ability to complete any assessment task.
La Trobe University respects the privacy of your personal information. We collect personal information in order to assess your eligibility for special consideration. Documentation that you provide as part of a special consideration application is strictly confidential and is subject to the protections of relevant privacy laws. Your confidential information is only made available to authorised staff as part of the special consideration process. You may have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you subject to any exemptions in relevant laws, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.