Reasons and documentation
Special consideration is one of many support services available at La Trobe University. It is specifically intended to support students who experience serious short-term, adverse and unforeseen circumstances that substantially affects their ability to complete an assessment task to the best of their potential.
- Supporting documentation must be provided and must be official and verifiable
- The documents must address the ways the circumstances have affected students, including the timing of the circumstances
- Applications can be submitted without documentation to ensure that the application is submitted within the allowable timeframe (three working days of assessment). However, it will not be assessed until the supporting documentation is received (must be within five working days of submitting the application)
- Supporting documentation must be in English. Translated documentation must be translated into English by either NAATI or a La Trobe University staff member
Examples of acceptable grounds for special consideration and documentation:
Required supporting documentation
Serious illness or injury
Foreseeable circumstances are not handled via special consideration:
- Known medical circumstances such as pregnancy (unless there are complications), elective surgery, long-term medical conditions
- Armed services duty.
- Jury duty / court appearance.
- Emergency services employee or volunteer duty.
- Religious or cultural obligations.
- Artistic commitments.
- Exam clash with an exam at another institution.
- Disability or ongoing medical conditions. If you are registered with Equity and Diversity for support due to an ongoing condition we recommended contacting your disability advisor before submitting a Special Consideration application
La Trobe University respects the privacy of your personal information. We collect personal information in order to assess your eligibility for special consideration. Documentation that you provide as part of a special consideration application is strictly confidential and is subject to the protections of relevant privacy laws. Your confidential information is only made available to authorised staff as part of the special consideration process. You may have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you subject to any exemptions in relevant laws, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.