Contact a careers adviser
Career support and advice at university is about helping you get started in your career. Our careers team can talk to you about finding a job, work based learning, or volunteering opportunity; provide guidance on how you can make decisions about your career; and connect you to programs to develop your career readiness.
If you are seeking advice on changes to your enrolment or choosing elective subjects, please visit Ask La Trobe to speak with a course advisor.
Read on to learn more about careers support available at La Trobe.
Access Career Support and Advice
Career Ready Essential Webinars
Webinars covering a broad range of topics are available throughout the year to help you develop your employability, both in semester and out of semester. Come along to learn more about:
- Cover letters
- How to develop experience
- Finding part time work
- Key selection criteria
- Industry experience
- Career Ready Advantage
- Career planning
- How to research your career options
If you can't find a webinar at a time that suits, we have a recording of all webinars available on CareerHub.
Career Ready Appointments
Career Ready Appointments
Please note: You are encouraged to attend a webinar prior to accessing appointments (see details on the webinar tab). Most students find these very helpful, and there are opportunities to ask questions.
You can attend a Career Ready appointment to gain 1:1 advice on how to develop experience or create a job application with impact.
Our career appointments are available via video or phone. Some appointments are available face to face on the Bundoora campus.
Not able to attend an appointment? No problem, you can access an online feedback service for resumes and application documents through CareerHub.
Are you looking to start thinking about career planning, undertaking career research? Or maybe you are wanting to clarify future career direction and alignment of your course of study to career aspirations?
Career advisors are available to provide tailored 1:1 career guidance and counselling.
Career consultation appointments are available via video or phone. Some face to face appointments are available on the Bendigo campus.
Have a careers related question for the team? Post a CareerHub question and receive brief recommendations and advice.
Information for Alumni
Alumni can access Career Ready appointments and career consultations after graduation. They have ongoing access to all resources, including LinkedIn Learning and can attend events. Events and resources can be accessed via CareerHub.
Information for Staff
The Employability and Work Integrated Learning team is available to support staff from across the university to connect curricular and co-curricular experiences to our sector leading program, Career Ready Advantage.
Our team can support you with:
- curriculum and assessment design consultations
- career development learning modules and assessment tools to support your teaching
- identifying career development learning resources, such as LinkedIn Learning, and Big Interview
- tailored careers information and support for your students
- support to identify and connect with industry partners
- coordination of discipline specific industry and career events, networking and information.
For information about our main services:
Access an extensive suite of current and topical self-help resources to assist you in reaching your career goals.
Information and direction on finding a job, volunteer roles and virtual experience programs
Information and direction on applying for jobs
Topics may include:
- Cover letters
- Finding part time work
- Developing skills and experience
- Access information sheets
- Recordings on these topics can be accessed here
- Big interview - online interview skill development and practice.
Information on exploring career options
International Employability: Get the Career Ready Advantage
The Career Ready Advantage is La Trobe’s sector leading employability program. It has been designed with industry partners including PwC, Optus and the Commonwealth Bank. You’ll get the skills employers are looking for and graduate with a well-developed career portfolio to help you stand out in both Australian and global markets. It’s everything you need to get ahead in your career and is recognised on your academic transcript.
The Career Ready Advantage supports La Trobe graduates to go on to a wide variety of interesting and rewarding careers. Outcomes of our graduates are showcased in the Career Summaries which have been developed for the major discipline areas taught at La Trobe and based on the jobs and companies La Trobe graduates have gone on to work in.
The Career Ready Advantage program is structured in three parts and will build on the knowledge and skills you gain during your degree. You will receive a certificate recognising this important achievement and the award will also appear on your academic transcript.
Read on to see opportunities for you to engage in a wide range of activities through the Career Ready Advantage Framework that are designed to enhance your employability.
Part 1 - Professional Learning
La Trobe offers an extensive range of professional development activities both live and on demand that enhance your skills and points of difference you can offer employers.
- LinkedIn Learning modules (available in a variety of languages) – La Trobe students have free, unlimited access to curated LinkedIn Learning courses designed to help you develop Career Ready capabilities.
- Tailored workshop – Developing your employability while you study in Australia. Understand how to use Career Ready Advantage as a development tool. Be aware of what employers look for. Learn about virtual and in person professional learning and practical experiences available at La Trobe. Receive information on sourcing work experience and part time jobs.
- Tailored workshop - Preparing for the global job market. Discover the core principles of job seeking. Understand how to research employers and network using LinkedIn and other resources. Recognise the importance of a tailored and professional application that is relevant to your chosen market. Find resources which will support your job seeking.
- Tailored workshop - Developing Professional Communication Skills and Confidence . Hear from international students who share strategies & resources to help you communicate confidently in Australian workplaces.
- Workshops to assist in finding part time and casual work during your time at La Trobe (commencing at orientation). To see what’s on, visit the CareerHub Events page
- Industry events– La Trobe runs a comprehensive industry events program that provides students with many opportunities to connect with industry partners who are keen to engage with international students. Examples include:
Career Option panels- a series of discipline specific sessions where employers share learnings from their own careers paths, industry insights and opportunities for students in their sector/organisation.
Employer Showcase – meet and network with local and international employers and learn about graduate employment programs.
Pathway to Possibilities & Volunteering Expo - connect with employers to hear about part time work, summer vacation internships and volunteering opportunities.
Part 2 - Practical Experiences
Undertake professional and community based activities that will give you the skills and experience to set you apart from the crowd. Choose from virtual industry experiences, placements, volunteering, leadership programs and more!
- Industry Mentoring Program - Tailored matching for international students – connecting students to alumni/industry professionals from their home country or Australia.
- Virtual Industry Experience – La Trobe University offers international and domestic students the opportunity to enhance their employability skills by working on real industry projects through programs such as the Business Opportunity Accelerator (BOA). BOA is a 2 week virtual program where teams of students work collaboratively to solve a real industry challenge. Contact a member of the Industry Engagement team to find out which virtual industry experience programs are currently running.
- Placements – La Trobe university offers a range of industry experiences embedded in curriculum. All undergraduate students have the opportunity to undertake placement at La Trobe. Resources to support you to undertake placement are available here.
- Virtual Work Experience – La Trobe University has partnered with The Forage to give La Trobe students access to undertake free virtual work experience programs with top companies including: Commonwealth Bank, Microsoft, JP Morgan, Grant Thornton and Goldman Sachs.
- Volunteering –undertake volunteering experiences in the community and receive academic credit via Service Learning or volunteer at La Trobe and connect in with La Trobe’s Emerging Leaders program.
- Paid employment – La Trobe students can access part time, casual and graduate positions via a variety of platforms including CareerHub, Employer Connect and LockInU
Part 3 - Career Portfolio
Showcase your skills and experiences with a Career Portfolio – the final piece of the Career Ready Advantage!
Learn to develop high impact job applications for both global and Australian job markets. You will receive support to set your career goals, develop your CV and LinkedIn profile and get practice undertaking interviews.
CareerHub login problems
Use your student username (e.g., students\12345678) and password to login to CareerHub. If you are having difficulties logging in, please contact: