La Trobe is developing new support systems for students who are current ADF personnel, reservists, veterans, and their family members.
Support for student veterans at La Trobe
We are interested to hear about your experiences and how we might be able to support you, and other students in similar circumstances, to succeed in your studies.
Please see below for information about applying to La Trobe University plus financial, academic, and personal support for veterans.
For more detailed information and/or advice, please contact AccessAbility and Inclusion:
Phone: +61 (0) 3 9479 2900
Applying to La Trobe
- Visit how to apply for information on applying to La Trobe.
- Attend events such as Open Days and Choose La Trobe to find out more information about the university.
- Visit The Future Students Centre, or call 1300 135 045.
La Trobe offers a range of financial support including:
- The Mildura Returned Services League (RSL) Scholarship is awarded to La Trobe University students, studying at the Mildura Campus, who are veterans or descendants/spouses of veterans.
- There are many other scholarships (La Trobe specific and external opportunities) listed on our website.
- Some financial assistance is available related to specific areas of your study, including ASSC and SHE Employment Grants to assist during placements, and grants should you choose to undertake part of your study overseas.
- There is a range of financial support information and services available to help support students experiencing financial difficulties.
- La Trobe also offers a financial counselling service.
Academic and personal support
La Trobe has a broad range of academic support services to assist students:
- Important tips for new students
- Information on orientation events
- The Learning Hub offers help with assessments and study from Peer Learning Advisors (PLAs) and expert staff. Specialist help is also available for English language, academic writing (including theses) and Library skills.
- Wellbeing Services can connect you with personal support around harassment and discrimination, confidential counselling support, AccessAbility Advisors for those who may have neurodiversity support needs, or live with or have a mental health condition, ongoing medical condition or disability, Spiritual Wellbeing Advisors, Men’s Health and Wellbeing, Indigenous Health and Wellbeing and LGBTIQA+ community support programs.
- You can speak to a Careers Advisor if you’d like advice about finding a job, work-based learning, or volunteering opportunities; provide guidance on how you can make decisions about your career, and connect you to programs to develop your career readiness.
- Student Union and Associations provide many services and support to students at La Trobe University.
Higher education guidelines for professional and academic staff
Higher education guidelines for professional and academic staff working with student veterans [PDF]
La Trobe Student Excellence Academy
La Trobe recognises the strengths that student veterans bring to their studies and invites them to join our Excellence Academy.