Industry Placement Bursary
La Trobe University is supporting students who are COMMENCING an internship/work placement during Summer 2023 by offering the opportunity to apply for an Industry Placement Bursary. Work-based learning (WBL) is a great opportunity to explore areas of interest in a professional setting and gain industry experience. Plus, if you’re successful in securing a bursary, you’ll receive a one-off payment of either $1000 or $2500.
All students undertaking a WBL placement, elective placement subject or a Rural Health School placement are strongly encouraged to apply. There will be three rounds open for applications in 2023.
Please note that the $2500 STEM Industry Placement Bursary is unique to La Trobe and is designed to support students who are completing an elective subject placement in selected STEM courses (see below).
If you are undertaking a placement in a location 120kms or more (one way) from your semester/term address and for the duration of 10 days or more, you may be eligible for the Placement Travel Bursary.
Our Summer/Round 3 application round will open 2 October to 10 December for placements 30 October 2023 to 25 Feb 2024.
Applications for students commencing at La Trobe in Semester 1, 2024 will open in February 2024.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- be a domestic student: a citizen or permanent resident of Australia; a citizen of New Zealand; or a permanent humanitarian visa holder: that is enrolled as an undergraduate student
- be a La Trobe student studying at a La Trobe campus note: partner institution enrolled students are not eligible for this payment
- be enrolled in a Rural Health School clinical placement OR an undergraduate elective placement subject and have or will undertake an internship/work placement in the Summer/Round 3: 30 October 2023 to 25 Feb 2024.. PLEASE NOTE: Whilst the placement needs to have commenced after 30 October 2023, the placement does not need to be completed by 25 Feb 2024.
- meet criteria for financial disadvantage and educational disadvantage
- have a confirmed placement listed in InPlace
- NOT already received an Industry Placement Bursary in the 2023 academic year
- Applications for students commencing at La Trobe in Semester 1, 2024 will open in February 2024.
Eligible courses for the $2500 STEM Industry Placement Bursary:
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Biological Sciences
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Biomedicine
- Bachelor of Wildlife and Conservation Biology
Students enrolled in stand-alone postgraduate courses.
Students enrolled with partner institutions.
Students undertaking a clinical placement not in the Rural Health School.
Students undertaking an education placement.
Recipients of the scholarship shall be selected by the University based on their:
- application addressing the eligibility criteria
- supporting documentation (please note you will not be contacted regarding missing or incomplete supporting documentation and all supporting documentation must be provided by the closing date)
- elective placement subjects undertaken as part of your studies
- experience must be a minimum of 70 hours in duration
- ranking by criteria around the financial and educational disadvantage criteria within VTAC SEAS and equity scholarships
- other indicators will be considered such as low SES status, first in family, regional status, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
How to applyApplications will open 2 October. An application form will be made available then.
You must only apply in the semester bursary round during which your WBL placement is due to occur. Students cannot apply early. You do not need to complete separate application forms for the $1000 and $2500 Industry Placement bursaries.
Who to contact for further information
Scholarships Office, email@example.com