Industry Placement Bursary
La Trobe University is supporting students who are COMMENCING an internship/work placement during Semester 1, 2024 by offering the opportunity to apply for an Industry Placement Bursary. Work-based learning (WBL) is a great opportunity to explore areas of interest in a professional setting and gain industry experience. Plus, if you’re successful in securing a bursary, you’ll receive a one-off payment of either $1000 or $2500.
All students undertaking a WBL placement, placement subject or a clinical placement are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the $2500 STEM Industry Placement Bursary is unique to La Trobe and is designed to support students who are completing an elective subject placement in selected STEM courses (see below).
If you are undertaking a placement in a location 120kms or more (one way) from your semester/term address and for the duration of 10 days or more, you may be eligible for the Placement Travel Bursary.
Note: students may only receive one placement related payment in a calendar year.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- be a domestic student: a citizen or permanent resident of Australia; a citizen of New Zealand; or a permanent humanitarian visa holder: that is enrolled as an undergraduate student
- be a La Trobe student studying at a La Trobe campus note: partner institution enrolled students are not eligible for this payment
- be enrolled in a placement subject and have or will undertake an internship/work placement in the Semester 1 period: 25 February to 23 June 2024. PLEASE NOTE: Whilst the placement needs to have commenced after 25 February the placement does not need to be completed by 23 June 2024.
- meet criteria for financial disadvantage and educational disadvantage
- have a confirmed placement listed in InPlace
Eligible courses for the $2500 STEM Industry Placement Bursary:
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Biological Sciences
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Biomedicine
- Bachelor of Wildlife and Conservation Biology
Students enrolled in stand-alone postgraduate courses.
Students enrolled with partner institutions.
Students that have received a placement related payment in 2024.
Recipients of the scholarship shall be selected by the University based on their:
- application addressing the eligibility criteria
- supporting documentation (please note you will not be contacted regarding missing or incomplete supporting documentation and all supporting documentation must be provided by the closing date)
- placement subjects undertaken as part of your studies
- experience must be a minimum of 70 hours in duration
- ranking by criteria around the financial and educational disadvantage criteria within VTAC SEAS and equity scholarships
- other indicators will be considered such as low SES status, first in family, regional status, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
How to apply
You must only apply in the semester bursary round during which your WBL placement is due to occur. Students cannot apply early. You do not need to complete separate application forms for the $1000 and $2500 Industry Placement bursaries. Please note, bursaries are limited.
Complete the application form to apply
Who to contact for further information
Scholarships Office, firstname.lastname@example.org