Update: Autumn and Spring 2020 graduation ceremonies have been postponed. Please visit the website for more information.
Sydney Graduation 2020
Around five to eight weeks before your ceremony, we will email you an invitation to graduate. The email will include a link to the online graduation registration.
Your three graduation options:
- Regularly check your La Trobe student email for updates.
- Check that your contact details are correct in StudentOnLine.
- Clear any overdue fees or debts with the University (check your statement of account and sanctions in StudentOnLine).
Note: If you do not choose one of the above options, you will automatically graduate in absentia. Graduating in absentia means you will not have the option to attend a ceremony, and you will need to request your testamur online after your original ceremony has concluded.
Before the ceremony
- Make a note of your ceremony date and time
- Check your award title and formal name is listed correctly as this is what will appear on your testamur. If incorrect, you may update your personal details.
- Complete the registration process via Reed’s website, ensuring that you:
- Enter your name pronunciation
- Pay your registration fee. The fee is $220 for non-PhD and $235 for PhD students (GST inclusive).
- Reserve your guest tickets
- Clear any outstanding fees or debts with the university.
- Check your student inbox regularly for graduation updates
- Print out your registration ticket and your guests’ tickets to take with you to graduation
Once you have received your Graduation Invitation email:
You can learn more about the registration process via Reed Graduations’ FAQs [External].
Also, be sure to:
Unallocated guest tickets - additional guest tickets (greater than the initial allocation) may be available once registrations have closed. We will notify graduands via email after the registration period if any unallocated guest tickets are available. Unallocated guest tickets are given on a first-come, first-served basis and there is no guarantee that they will be available for every ceremony.
On the day of your Graduation
- Dress in business attire as if you’re attending a job interview. Cocktail dress is also suitable.
- Upon arrival, proceed to Gown Collection where the Reed team will help you dress in your regalia.
- Both guests and graduands must have tickets ready to scan to enter the theatre where the ceremony will take place.
- Doors to the theatre will open for guests and graduands 40 minutes before the ceremony. Present your seat number ticket (handed to you at gown collection) to the theatre ushers who will show you to your designated seat.
Please note: guests will be seated in a different section to graduands. Guest seating is unallocated so be sure your guests arrive early to secure their desired row.
- The ceremony will run for approximately 60 minutes and will include the academic procession; the occasional address; and the presentation of graduands.
- When your name is announced, you will walk across the stage to accept your testamur where the Reed event photographer will take a photo of you receiving your testamur, which you will have the option to purchase after the ceremony. A stage-etiquette briefing will be given to all seated graduands approximately 10-15 minutes before the ceremony.
- Refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
- Once you have had the opportunity to enjoy the celebrations and have your photos taken, you can return your gown at the designated Gown Return room.
Reed Graduations provides the following services on the day:
- Studio photography
- On-stage graduate photography
- Graduation frames and plaques
- Graduation rings
- Flowers and graduation giftware, including teddy bears and other mementoes
Contact Reed Graduations [External]
Live web streaming of your ceremony will be available for friends and family unable to attend. The video will also be available online after your ceremony for re-watching later.
If you or any of your guests need special assistance at the graduation ceremony (e.g. wheelchair or limited mobility access, visually impaired or hearing impaired assistance), please let us know via ASK a Question.