PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE PRIMARY B
Credit points: 15
Professional Experience Primary B consists of 20 days placement. While undertaking this professional experience, students are involved in one-to-one and small group teaching, and finally taking the whole class for lessons, from the teacher's program as well as those designed and developed by the pre-service teacher in collaboration with the mentor teacher. Student teacher involvement in the class provides opportunities for familiarisation with the roles and expectations of teachers, and the patterns of classroom interactions, classroom organization and management and assessment practices. Students undertake observations of general lessons, classroom management and design, develop and teach specific lessons on literacy and mathematics and other areas of the curriculum in collaboration with the mentor teacher. In this experience emphasis is placed on Mathematics/numeracy.Professional Experience is a Compulsory Professional Requirement. Pre-service teachers for Professional Experience Primary B will be assessed as Consolidating.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorGreg Powell
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Co-requisites Must be enrolled in course EMTP Master of Teaching (Primary)
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Classroom Management||Recommended||McDonald, T., 2013, 2nd Ed.||OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS AUSTRALIA|
|Readings||Effective Teaching Strategies: lessons from research and Practice. 5th Ed.||Recommended||Killen, R., 2009||CENGAGE LEARNING AUSTRALIA|
|Readings||Inclusion in Action (3rd Ed)||Recommended||Edited by Phil Foreman||CENGAGE LEARNING AUSTRALIA|
|Readings||Learning For Teaching Teaching For Learning. 2nd Ed.||Recommended||Whitton, D. et al, 2010||CENGAGE LEARNING AUSTRALIA|
|Readings||Maximising Learning Outcomes in Diverse Classrooms. 1st Ed.||Recommended||Dempsey, I. & Authur-Kelly, M., 2007||CENGAGE LEARNING AUSTRALIA|
|Readings||Teaching: Challenges and Dilemmas, 4th Ed.||Recommended||Groundwater-Smith, R., Ewing, R. & Le Cornu, R., 2011||CENGAGE LEARNING AUSTRALIA|
|Readings||The Australian Curriculum in Victoria (AusVELS):||Prescribed||VCAA, 2015||VCAA/DEECD|
|Readings||Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)||Prescribed||VIT, 2015||VIT|
|Readings||Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD)||Prescribed||DE&T, 2015||DE&T|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Apply knowledge of students and how they learn to the professional experience.
- Completion of weekly readings and online, blended learning modules.
02. Apply knowledge and content, curriculum and teaching and learning strategies to the professional experience in the area of Maths/numeracy.
- Completion of Blog entries each week associated with a digital portfolio that targets Maths/numeracy and reflections based on lessons taught across other areas of the curriculum.
03. Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning throughout the professional experience.
- Completion of a professional experience folder, recording lesson planning and self-evaluations, reflections on their own classroom observations including lessons and on the professional practice experience at the school level.
04. Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments throughout the professional experience.
- Online recorded videos of professional experience briefing sessions (based on Ethical practice, Planning and Preparing for Practice and Teaching. Becoming a reflective Teacher, Classroom Organisation and Management, Proactive Teacher Behaviours).
05. Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning throughout the professional experience.
- Students are expected to plan, design, resource and write daily lesson plans and deliver these regularly under a Mentor's supervision. Students are expected to write reflections about each lesson presented. Mid-placement (cycle) diagnostic assessment by teacher-mentor.
06. Engage in professional learning to improve practice and students learning throughout the professional experience.
- Attend regular staff meetings, Unit and planning meetings whilst on professional experience in educational settings. Completion of Blog entries each week associated with digital portfolio development.
07. Engage professionally with colleagues and the community throughout the professional experience.
- Attend any professional learning provided whilst on professional experience in educational settings.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2016, Week 35-47, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorGreg Powell
Placement - Off Site
One 20.0 days placement - off site per study period on weekdays during the day and delivered via face-to-face.
"Plus directed online learning activities"
|Completion of Professional Experience digital portfolio (2500 words or equivalent)||Successful completion of all aspects of the digital portfolio.||50||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07|
|Reflective Journal (2500 words equivalent)||50||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07|